Jump to content
Phil10

Fox News host refuses to wash hands in 10 years

Recommended Posts

Common sense needs to rule the issue of washing hands. 

Hardly common sense not to wash them. 

I wash mine regularly but have to use a moisturising handwash not soap as my hands otherwise get very dry. 

And I don't use germ killing handwash because I don't see any need. 

Share this post


Link to post

That's just grim. Handwashing is one of the man ways of preventing the spread of infection and I hate it when people are proud of being unhygienic. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, taurean said:

I wash mine regularly but have to use a moisturising handwash not soap as my hands otherwise get very dry. 

When I use my Mum’s handwash despite rinsing my hands the perfume lingers for so long.

Share this post


Link to post

I have contamination ocd so I could be upset by this but I'm not. Why?

He's clearly joking. Some might not find it funny, but he's not being serious.

If you read the article he's a graduate of Princeton and Harvard - smart enough not to really believe that if you can't see something it doesn't exist.

 I know the level of handwashing he (jokingly) talks about isn't the right one, but nor is what my OCD tells me to do. I'm not there yet, but I'm working to get back to something like what taurean describes.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Phil10 said:

See here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47201923

An ocd sufferers worst nightmare this. 

 

I think he was exaggerating. If he didn't wash his hands, I'm sure he would have been pulled up by his colleagues and friends over the look and smell. Yuck. Or he would have gotten salmonella or hepatitis by now 

 

He's a major attention seeker. Imagine becoming famous on international news because you professed to being a disgusting individual. Not because of Princeton etc. Ugh what a stupid idiot 

Edited by Orwell1984

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, daja said:

When I use my Mum’s handwash despite rinsing my hands the perfume lingers for so long.

It would. I use Simple mousturising handwash - no perfume, just simple :)

 

Share this post


Link to post

Actually, not only do I think this guy is joking, but he is also making fun of people with contamination OCD. Think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Phil10 said:

An ocd sufferers worst nightmare this. 

Naw, i mean it sounds disgusting but I can think of much worse nightmares.

Share this post


Link to post

Hm well I did have an old (very intelligent) friend who went to my old uni (top 10 in UK) who didn't wash her hands apart from in the shower so some people really don't wash their hands! 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, BelAnna said:

Hm well I did have an old (very intelligent) friend who went to my old uni (top 10 in UK) who didn't wash her hands apart from in the shower so some people really don't wash their hands! 

😷🤢

Share this post


Link to post

I think we can draw a line under this topic now.

Essentially, what is normal is what sensible informed risk-averse people do I think. And they wash their hands - and of course their body too -  in a hygienic way.

A friend of mine was  averse to regular bathing, meaning there was often an unpleasant whiff to him :yucky:.  What turned him around was getting into a meaningful relationship with a lovely young lady (my ex-girlfriend) whom he went on to marry and they are still happily together :inlove:

So sensible hygienic body washing can also help you to keep your partner, and your friends  :;

Edited by taurean

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, taurean said:

I think we can draw a line under this topic now.

The topic was only started yesterday, & others not on here all the time might want to have a say.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, taurean said:

A friend of mine was  averse to regular bathing, meaning there was often an unpleasant whiff to him :yucky:.  What turned him around was getting into a meaningful relationship with a lovely young lady (my ex-girlfriend) whom he went on to marry and they are still happily together :inlove:

So sensible hygienic body washing can also help you to keep your partner, and your friends  :;

How do you turn someone around though?

I was in a long-term relationship, but my then girlfriend seem to let herself go with regards to personal hygiene as time went on. I felt that this was not the person I originally got into a relationship with, and I could hardly broach the subject. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, felix4 said:

How do you turn someone around though?

I was in a long-term relationship, but my then girlfriend seem to let herself go with regards to personal hygiene as time went on. I felt that this was not the person I originally got into a relationship with, and I could hardly broach the subject. :( 

I suppose one party has to be willing to speak up, and the other one to be willing to make the necessary change. 

His friends were surprised, but very pleased 😌 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, felix4 said:

The topic was only started yesterday, & others not on here all the time might want to have a say.

True enough. 

But I think the genie has been stuffed back into the bottle, and more "debate" could weaken that beneficial result. 

At work we were taught that when a deal has been struck bring the meeting to a close and withdraw. 

Carrying on talking might inadvertently threaten the deal and result in it being withdrawn :(

 

Share this post


Link to post

Germ theory in the late 19 century informs this debate. Before this the theory was that bad air caused disease. The research and technology first proved that bad water caused death in parts of London. It took time for germ theory to become acceptable throughout the world. Clear water and good sanitation were the key. Just look at the death statistics globally related to sanitation.  The guy on Fox News is an idiot and anti science.  

Before germ theory people protected themselves from bad smells. Just look at historical records of the Great Plague.  

OCD in the past was probably related to smells. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Angst said:

The guy on Fox News is an idiot and anti science.  

I feel sorry for his life partner if he has one

Share this post


Link to post

I have contamination OCD and found this reassuring. Look he barely washes his hands and he's okay! Well, something like that. I notice people who take cans and bottles back for recycling rummage in garbage cans and appear to survive it. Today a man was picking up cigarette butts off the wet, dirty street and he's older and still fine. Not to recommend any of these behaviours but they help me counteract some of my contamination fears. I'm still going to wash my hands but hopefully a normal amount, at least less than I do now.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, orange said:

I have contamination OCD and found this reassuring. Look he barely washes his hands and he's okay!

This is a great attitude to take!

 

17 minutes ago, orange said:

I'm still going to wash my hands but hopefully a normal amount, at least less than I do now.

Definitely the right thing to do, set a goal of washing a "normal" amount and work towards that, starting with at least reducing the amount you do now.  One step at a time towards a reasonable goal!

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you dksea! I'm still washing them too much but seeing what other people do does help.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×