prozac dosage increase - experiences

I am increasing my dose of Prozac . I have been taking 40mg for 4 years and am increasing it to 60mg as I am currently suffering a relapse in my OCD . What has been other members experience been with dosage increases of this type and have you experienced any side effects

Hi Skippy. 

I couldn't myself tolerate prozac, I experienced unpleasant side effects which didn't go away. 

This was a disappointment, as my sister does well on it - and my psychiatrist said her OCD patients tended to, but a dose of at least 40mg was needed, in her opinion, to have effect on OCD. 

But do you need to try this increase? It seems to me likely you are under increased stress and that may be the reason for the current relapse. 

Perhaps looking at various ways of reducing that stress, learning relaxation and meditation skills, and getting back some mental equilibrium from them might be all that is needed? 

Changing meds doses can play around with the balance of the brain's response in OCD - and it can be advantageous, or disadvantageous; it can be something of a lottery. 

And SSRIs take time to take effect, so an increased dose may likely do too. 

Hi Skippy- I have been taking 60mg Prozac for about 5 years now. I can't say I've had any bad experience from it. The 20mg increase will probably be of benefit to you if you already tolerate 40mg. Again there's no definite answer but in probability I'd say you could tolerate the increase 

1 hour ago, taurean said:

But do you need to try this increase? It seems to me likely you are under increased stress and that may be the reason for the current relapse. 

Perhaps looking at various ways of reducing that stress, learning relaxation and meditation skills, and getting back some mental equilibrium from them might be all that is needed? 

I'd try this first though

Hey Skippy, over the decade that I took Prozac my dosage varied from 20mg to 60mg, with various stops in between.  I didn't experience any significant symptoms, but its hard to say what anyone elses experience will be given the varied nature of reactions to SSRI's.  In my case we usually changed dosages in increments of 10mg rather than 20, so i would have gone from 40 to 50 first, then to 60.  If you are concerned about side effects and things have been general going well for you on Prozac then perhaps an incremental change to 50 would be worth a shot?  Anyway, whatever path you end up going down I wish you the best of luck on your recovery.  Definitely consider some of the things Tauren brings up.  I, unfortunately, did not get much in the way of CBT support early on in my OCD, relying almost solely on the medication, and in retrospect that was a mistake.  I could have avoided a lot of issues had I had a stronger grounding in CBT at the time too.