Going away tomorrow and feel nervous...

Going away for a few days with my mum and the kids. I always seem to get nervous and anxious when I do. All the memory stuff seems to massively intensify. Seem to have read a fair few triggering articles on social media tonight which hasn't helped :(

I keep finding myself a nervous wreck when I hear a car door shut outside as I'm convinced it's the police for me. 

Not sure why I've posted, I think just for comfort and sometimes I feel better for writing my worries down. 

4 hours ago, Saz said:

Not sure why I've posted, I think just for comfort and sometimes I feel better for writing my worries down. 

At various points in my OCD journey I have kept a journal for this very reason.  Sometimes just writing my worries out helps me process and deal with them.  Its not for anyone but me, I've tossed older journals (no personally identifying information included, sometimes i'll shred the pages first), and I don't intend for them to be read in the future or anything, I just find the transition from my brain to paper different from sticking around just in my brain. It can also help with rumination and compulsions because you can use it to set time limits for when you'll deal with a thought.  Like "OK, I'm having that anxious thought again.  I'm going to put off dealing with it until its time to journal later today".  By giving it physical form and tying it to a specific object and specific time you can deal with it in a more concrete fashion than just "oh i'll worry about that later".  I also limited the amount of time i could spend writing, to avoid it from becoming a compulsion.  Anyway thats just one technique thats worked for me.  Maybe it would help during your vacation if you had a small notebook you could keep with you and when you are really struggling with a worry you could jot it down to deal with later, giving yourself permission to enjoy the time you are with your family "now".  You might find, as I often did, that by the time you got to "later" it wasn't as big a deal anymore.  It can be helpful in that way too.

On 14/02/2019 at 03:13, dksea said:

At various points in my OCD journey I have kept a journal for this very reason.  Sometimes just writing my worries out helps me process and deal with them.  Its not for anyone but me, I've tossed older journals (no personally identifying information included, sometimes i'll shred the pages first), and I don't intend for them to be read in the future or anything, I just find the transition from my brain to paper different from sticking around just in my brain. It can also help with rumination and compulsions because you can use it to set time limits for when you'll deal with a thought.  Like "OK, I'm having that anxious thought again.  I'm going to put off dealing with it until its time to journal later today".  By giving it physical form and tying it to a specific object and specific time you can deal with it in a more concrete fashion than just "oh i'll worry about that later".  I also limited the amount of time i could spend writing, to avoid it from becoming a compulsion.  Anyway thats just one technique thats worked for me.  Maybe it would help during your vacation if you had a small notebook you could keep with you and when you are really struggling with a worry you could jot it down to deal with later, giving yourself permission to enjoy the time you are with your family "now".  You might find, as I often did, that by the time you got to "later" it wasn't as big a deal anymore.  It can be helpful in that way too.

Thank you for the advice. I agree. Sometimes it's even just writing it down, getting it off my chest, even if nobody has any answers for me. x

On 14/02/2019 at 00:30, Andrea said:

Hi saz :)

Don't listen to your OCD, it is just OCD, it is nothing serious.

Enjoy your trip with your family and don't be afraid of the police.

Thanks Andrea, trying hard to ignore it all. X

On 13/02/2019 at 23:40, daja said:

Try and have a good time!

Thanks I had a nice time, although was pretty tiring too with all the kids in tow. X

My false memory wasn't too bothersome when I was away thankfully but now I'm back its creeping in again and on top of that I thought I was doing so well in dealing with the breakup, but turns out I'm just kidding myself. Oh and I have just been diagnosed yesterday with a not so nice medical condition that's affects women... ? Throw me on the scrap heap ?

3 minutes ago, Saz said:

thought I was doing so well in dealing with the breakup, but turns out I'm just kidding myself. 

You're not kidding yourself. You are getting stronger. Being in a different situation on holiday threw up new triggers that your mind has processed, so that's a good thing! You are passing through the pain, feeling the emotions and your heart is catching up to your brain. You are getting there! Have faith! :) xx

On 20/02/2019 at 09:29, Orwell1984 said:

You're not kidding yourself. You are getting stronger. Being in a different situation on holiday threw up new triggers that your mind has processed, so that's a good thing! You are passing through the pain, feeling the emotions and your heart is catching up to your brain. You are getting there! Have faith! :) xx

:goodpost:

On 20/02/2019 at 12:29, Orwell1984 said:

Thanks Orwell xxx