Anyone else resigned to be on medication for life?

22 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Hi Bluegas, I stopped taking them because I had to sleep a lot or I felt horrendous, 9 hours and still was tired and if I got like 5 hours well the day was over. Nowadays I can go with 5 hours, overall I need 7 hours. I can relate to you feeling what you feel because I felt the same, things didn't seem to excite me that much, and now in hindsight I have to say that the effect on me had to be pretty big, because I went for some years without motivation to do anything, and I felt good about it.. Was on and off (mainly on) for about 10 years. I stopped because I had intense OCD and didn't saw the point in taking the medications if I didn't even get any benefits. I have a theory that medication can be used as a help (it gets easier to overcome OCD) but if you let yourself slip you will be in the bad spot anyway, with or without medications. 

Have been off for maybe 1 year and going back on SSRI is not an option for me, even when I feel bad I don't see it as an option. But be prepared, because it can take years to come off, 17 years is a long time and you will probably need some time to get off it. But withdrawals are very individual, some people don't even get them, others (like me) need to taper for a long time.

OCD+Pills-Therapy= bad spot

OCD-Therapy= bad spot

EDIT: I forgot the threadmaker, if you tapering off to fast you will very likely get withdrawals and depression and anxiety are two effects which can happen! It is pretty common that people who stop gets depressed and thinks they need it for life when it's just because you are tapering off too quickly. My advice to you would be to taper off really really slow. It is not before you have tapered off slowly you really can say that you can't live without medication.

Thank you for the reply  I definitely agree with you  all we can do is keep taking one day at a time good luck to you 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
31 minutes ago, bluegas said:

Thank you for the reply  I definitely agree with you  all we can do is keep taking one day at a time good luck to you 

Good luck to you too! I am doing my thing with compulsions, using strategies and it is much better nowdays. I do believe in the possibility of getting over OCD. I myself have noticed a lot of things which have improved. It's just accepting the fact that OCD is severe when it is doing its thing and it is now I see how deep the hole really was. 

If you decide to stop taking SSRI please do NOT stop to abrupt, there is no need to do such thing. Good luck!

On 23/02/2019 at 19:11, OCDhavenobrain said:

Good luck to you too! I am doing my thing with compulsions, using strategies and it is much better nowdays. I do believe in the possibility of getting over OCD. I myself have noticed a lot of things which have improved. It's just accepting the fact that OCD is severe when it is doing its thing and it is now I see how deep the hole really was. 

If you decide to stop taking SSRI please do NOT stop to abrupt, there is no need to do such thing. Good luck!

Hi yea I think we all got our different ways of dealing with things. For me I spent so many years thinking I had to be ocd free and needed to be cured but the older i get I personally think it gonna always  be there and I’ve kind of accepted it hanging over me and I seem to get more peace from the acceptance  than constantly trying to fight it 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
3 hours ago, bluegas said:

Hi yea I think we all got our different ways of dealing with things. For me I spent so many years thinking I had to be ocd free and needed to be cured but the older i get I personally think it gonna always  be there and I’ve kind of accepted it hanging over me and I seem to get more peace from the acceptance  than constantly trying to fight it 

Could be a very good approach not to be perfectly free from OCD, as long as you don't use it wrong, as an justification to keep doing compulsions