Mysterious stuff on bottom of shoe

How to deal with the uncertainty of being nearly exposed to something that could be bad or nothing? I took out the garbage, not the best time for me, and checked my shoes because they get muddy usually by picking them up and there was some off-white stuff on them. My first thought was raccoon poop and I wiped off the shoe on the side of the step. Then I thought mushroom, but it's winter and I didn't see any. Then I thought it could be some part of some poor animal and since it was off-white, I thought brain tissue of the animal I fear most... I have been doing fairly well lately but this one threw me. It could be compost but I didn't notice any on the ground. Could be anything I guess. But I did bring the shoes close enough to my face so I could see the underneath. And worried about my hair getting into it even though it was tied back.

Trying to think of people who have pets or those who don't take off their shoes when they go in the house. And the unlikelihood of it being the thing I fear most. Now I'm thinking it might be dog poop. And I'm relieved. And really hope it's not raccoon poop. Sigh.

I really struggle with exposures to unknown substances as well so can well relate to your post!

Just wondering how you are doing with this one...

Always good to try and focus on what non-ocd people would do in cases like this which it sounds like you are doing so that's great.

Wiping off your shoe on the step and moving on with your day sounds like the perfect plan--hope you were able to stick to it!

• 1 month later...