Education making mental compulsions worse?

My OCD has attacked an area that I am finding really hard to deal with, as I am legally educated and I’m currently having legal obsessions.

I have created a hierarchy for the obsessions and I have been doing exposures but I’m really struggling with response prevention.

I feel like because a large proportion of the checking can be done mentally as the knowledge is already in my head, it’s making the mental compulsions really hard to deal with as I end up very deep down the rabbit hole quite fast. 

Its just making things so much worse as if I was having these types of obsessions but didn’t have any legal knowledge, I would have to do a lot more external checking via google etc. which would arguably be easier to identify and prevent. 

Has anybody experienced anything similar? If so, how did you tackle it?

23 minutes ago, HadenoughofOCD said:

My OCD has attacked an area that I am finding really hard to deal with, as I am legally educated and I’m currently having legal obsessions.

I have created a hierarchy for the obsessions and I have been doing exposures but I’m really struggling with response prevention.

I feel like because a large proportion of the checking can be done mentally as the knowledge is already in my head, it’s making the mental compulsions really hard to deal with as I end up very deep down the rabbit hole quite fast. 

Its just making things so much worse as if I was having these types of obsessions but didn’t have any legal knowledge, I would have to do a lot more external checking via google etc. which would arguably be easier to identify and prevent. 

Has anybody experienced anything similar? If so, how did you tackle it?

Yes, it's a nightmare! I was dealing with compliance related issues in finance and it was very anxiety provoking. And it is a rabbit hole because the subject matter is interesting, so it would be something you want to analyse anyway. I have no idea how to deal with it in fairness. Currently I am not working- was let go from past job due to 'performance issues'. I wasn't quick enough, probably because I was adhering to compliance rules closely. Others sacrificed quality for speed and so didn't get let go. 

Just wanted to say I know how this particular obsession feels and to empathise.

Edited by Orwell1984

Orwell, I am SO glad you responded! It has eaten at me for a number of years and as a result, I have not pursued a career in law as each time I tried, I was overcome with anxiety. I didn’t realise what it was until recently, so it’s a relief to know that it’s not just because I couldn’t cope but now I have to try and deal with it. 

I think similarly to compliance, when you know all the possible tunnels in the rabbit hole, it gives you analysis paralysis and you can’t make a move for fear of making the wrong choice.

I am constantly in my head thinking “if I make choice A, how will that impact situation B? Will situation B be covered if X happens?” And on it goes. 

This legal thought process applies to literally every aspect of my life and it’s so bad that I am just avoiding everything I possibly can at the moment. Not the best, but only way I can cope until I get a better handle on it.