so my house mate has a cold sore, which she keeps touching and then touching things in the house and its just sent me off and I can't stop washing my hands and it feels like everything is dirty and I can't clean it and im not clean and im panicking a little bit 

vi

Sorry you're having a bad day vi. me too :(

Try to keep those compulsions at bay-- don't try and chase the thoughts of contamination away, but resist the compulsive hand-washing...

I'm telling myself similar as I'm having the same sort of day!

I'm trying to just get on with my day doing positive things while those contamination fears hang out in my brain...

wishing you well!

Edited by leif
8 hours ago, leif said:

Sorry you're having a bad day vi. me too :(

Try to keep those compulsions at bay-- don't try and chase the thoughts of contamination away, but resist the compulsive hand-washing...

I'm telling myself similar as I'm having the same sort of day!

I'm trying to just get on with my day doing positive things while those contamination fears hang out in my brain...

wishing you well!

thank you Leif, I am trying my best, just one of those days yknow, and its not easy to just stop especially when there is actually someone with something contagious but hey ho, just gotta keep trying

10 hours ago, PolarBear said:

You're washing your hands like crazy, but everything still seems dirty. So... how's all that handwashing doing for you?

I don't think there's any need to be snarky? I came here because I was in a bad place and wanted support form people who understood, not to feel judged or made to feel like a freak. 

3 hours ago, vivi_x said:

thank you Leif, I am trying my best, just one of those days yknow, and its not easy to just stop especially when there is actually someone with something contagious but hey ho, just gotta keep trying

yes that's all we can do--just keep trying!

4 hours ago, vivi_x said:

I don't think there's any need to be snarky? I came here because I was in a bad place and wanted support form people who understood, not to feel judged or made to feel like a freak. 

I'm not being snarky and I don't judge. I was an OCD sufferer myself for a very long time. 

You are not a freak. You suffer from OCD. I tell people what they need to hear. You do need to come to terms with the fact that your compulsions (ex. hand washing,) are not working. You do them over and over yet you remain in the same place. Realizing that is a good first strp. The next is to slow down and stop your compulsions.