Stuck in gear with thinking

Intrusive thoughts keep intruding the past few days whatever I do to shift them it's like they won't let go there are stuck in gear. Then the doubt is so strong it's hard to shift the gear. The same thing over and over. it tough sometimes xx hope it lifts soon

It's what Jeffrey Schwartz called "Brainlock" in his book of the same name. 

How to shift it? Try his The Four Steps method. Here is a link to my previous topic about this. 

https://www.ocdforums.org/index.php?/topic/60729-click-here-for-my-summary-of-the-four-steps-ocd-self-help-method/

Edited by taurean

By the way, the biochemical imbalance in the brain concept is considered generally to be one theory but it is not at all universally accepted. 

I buy into it because, for some, using an SSRI drug seems to replace imbalances of the neurotransmitter serotonin in their brain and directly improve their OCD. 

But you pays your money and you make your own choice on this theory. 

Thank you taurean I have been having an intrusive thought about a real event that happened it was a year ago was speaking to my therapist about it a week ago we have 8 weekly appointments now which is great but it's just latched on to the subject again and because it was real event OCD has latched on and it's harder for me to disregard I have been doing so well but this has stuck solid for over a week now I am so anoid. If I treat it as ocd if be fine.  I had a drunken words with my cousin one nite and she was agressive with me I cried as too much to drink I am mostly confident outgoing and assertive. OCD latched on am I weak or strong could I handle it is she attacked me I a strong enough to take a stand was crying a weakness do others think I am weak etc etc.  It's ridiculous even when I try to tell myself I am only human being scared doesn't mean weak. I go to the gym to burn stress and find myself doing weights or boxing etc as a way to reassure myself that id be able to take care of myself but the doubt goes around and around. Need to see it as ocd and doubt and belive in myself can't shift gear seams so important really embarrassing and laughable to see it in black and white.

We can have obsessive repetitive thoughts, leading to compulsions and disorder - aka OCD - about anything including real events. 

As with all obsessive thoughts, we need to look at what the OCD is telling us by seeking out the core belief. 

Once we know what that is we can set about rendering it benign by changing our thinking and behavioural response with CBT. 

2 hours ago, angels said:

OCD latched on am I weak or strong could I handle it is she attacked me I a strong enough to take a stand was crying a weakness do others think I am weak etc etc. 

So this is what you need to stop giving belief to, and responding with an OCD episodic behavioural response. 

You know this is an exaggeration, a false representation plus there is the negative thinking distortion of mind-reading thrown in there 

do others think I am weak etc etc. 

It's good that you recognise what is going on 

It's ridiculous even when I try to tell myself I am only human being scared doesn't mean weak.

But 

. I go to the gym to burn stress and find myself doing weights or boxing etc as a way to reassure myself that id be able to take care of myself but the doubt goes around and around.

There is the response to the core belief by using a compulsion to try and fix it. This is wrong - it only strengthens your mental belief that there is a case to be answered, that what the OCD is saying is true. 

but the doubt goes around and around. 

OCD does its damage by sewing the seeds of doubt. 

But we overcome the doubt by determining to accept the probability that our experience is purely OCD and the OCD core belief is actually simply worthless nonsense. 

Hopefully by setting it out this way you can see that, stop listening to the OCD. 

You can break your mind out of the stuck gear using The Four Steps as previously advised. 

You can do this angel's. You can if you think you can. 

Taurean you are a very kind person taking the time out to reply to my post I am sure you are a very valued member on here.  I have had OCD a very long time and do well in combating it mostly but when I start to feed it it grows and gets stuck and refocusing is key in this situation but when it goes as far a a week it's like a rat on a wheel. It has so benefited me to see it laid out like you have thank you so much for lifting me up ...

No problem angels only too pleased to help. 

Refocusing will break the stuck brain transmission, but the cognitive understanding of what the OCD is up to is important as it undermines OCD's game so diminishes its power. 

Best wishes 

Roy 

Edited by taurean