So my best friend, I love her dearly but she has a lack of boundaries, one of which is drinking from my watebottle. Sometimes, I’m okay with this depending on how good I’m doing at the time, however, during a hard time when I am stressed and the ocd is winning, this is something that really gets to me. And means I can’t drink from my own water bottle. 

I cant tell her no, because where I work people would look at me funny or think I’m being selfish. So I’m not really sure what to do. I have asked her before to stop but that lasts about 3 days and then she’s back at it 

any advice? 

V x

Hello Vivi,

I think this is one of those which would also bother some people even without OCD.  For me, it would bother me OCD wise depending who it was taking a sip to be honest.   As to what you do about it  I guess for you there are two options.

1. Do nothing and use as opportunity to challenge your OCD (if you're in that place)
  2. Speak to her again 

How you speak to her is a little one of those etiquette moments that many people struggle with such conversations.  If she knows you have OCD, could you explain it makes your OCD much harder when she drinks from your bottle and ask her to not use it again, or at least ask you so you can choose depending how you are that day.   if she doesn't know you have OCD, again just make it about choice, explain it sometimes makes you feel uncomfortable so would she mind asking in future.  (I appreciate you may have already tried both of those options!).

Hope that helps a little.

Having been a hill walker I like Ashley’s response. Nicely nuanced. I wouldn’t like to carry the extra weight of a extra water bottle.

Edited by Angst

IMO this is not even an OCD issue, even though it is more upsetting to you because of your OCD, but a simple politeness and respect issue.  I have no OCD issues around contamination or what not but I would be very bothered by someone else drinking from my water bottle, especially without my permission.  Its not specifically about germs, but just about personal boundaries.  I think its rude of her to do this and you have every right to remind her to stop.  If you want to go the least confrontational route you could buy her her own water bottle similar to yours and then she won't have an excuse to use yours anymore.  Otherwise if she doesn't seem to change her behavior think the suggestion of putting your water bottle in an out of the way place when you aren't using it is another good (though less ideal) option.  But really, she needs to stop drinking out of your water bottle.  Thats not polite or being a good friend.  Good friends respect their friends boundaries.