Old obsessions coming back?

So my current obsession has faded off recently (as they usually do with effective but unhealthy avoidance compulsions - it’s at the top of my fear heirarchy so not in a position to deal with yet), however I’ve noticed my brain has now started throwing up old obsessions that so far have not fully latched on. I can feel it getting closer to being attached again, so I am trying to remain out of the OCD fire (to quote PolarBear ☺️) and stay rational. 

Is it normal for your brain to try and do this? To try and bring up old fears? 

Hi there, yes it’s totally normal for that to happen. OCD loves a home. Your brain is scanning for things to latch on to. This happens to me a lot. I feel that my brain actively looks for things. 

I’m really pleased for you that these old obsessions haven’t latched on yet, keep going. Don’t engage and refocus away when they pop up. Remember any compulsions surrounding them will only reinforce them and add fuel to the fire. 

Look after yourself too, eating and sleeping well will give you resilience.

Take care. 

Thanks for replying Emsie, and for the good advice! Its really interesting (and scary) how now that my most current obsession has waned somewhat, my mind feels vulnerable to all previous triggers. It’s just as you said - like my brain is trying to find one that will stick. So far, I haven’t had any intense anxiety pangs when the intrusive thoughts enter my head, but the the thoughts themselves are flooding my brain right now and I feel like it’s a ticking time bomb before the one that latches hits. 

Im trying really hard to refocus my attention and remember all the stuff I have learnt, but it’s so hard to stop the ruminating (which is what normally leads me down the path to the sticky obsession). Why can’t this OCD just go away? I hate it. :wallbash:

You're so welcome. Yes, I do think our brains look to find one that sticks. But, with awareness of that I think it reveals how false it all is. I'm so glad you haven't had any intense anxiety pangs, but if you do, remember it's a false alarm. Don't assume one will latch, but if the anxiety pang comes, push through it and say to yourself that you're not going to deal with that right now and delay any compulsions. Choose a time to delay for and when that time comes, try to delay again and so on. The anxiety will fade. 

Yes, it's hard to stop the ruminating, but you can. I'll post a link in a min to a video PolarBear did on stopping ruminating. 

Rest well tonight. 

11 hours ago, HadenoughofOCD said:

Thanks so much for your kindness emsie, it really is so appreciated ☺️ - and of course for the great advice and PolarBear’s great video! Just what I needed at this moment, so thank you so much! 

You are so very welcome ?. I really hope you can apply PolarBear’s great advice in his video. 

Keep going, you can do this. X

Edited by Emsie