OCD self help books - worksheets

I have read many self help books on OCD, GAD, perfectionism etc. Most of them contain worksheets to complete. Although most of them have valuable information and techniques I rarely use the worksheets beside going through them mentally. I'm interested in what those of you do who also read such books.

Oliver

I agree with Leif that doing the worksheets, actually writing things out, has more impact than just going through it mentally.  But even doing the worksheets isn't enough, it takes more than just filling out the forms, they are merely a guide, the real work is understanding what the worksheets are trying to show/teach and applying that learning in your daily life.

I was given worksheets during one-to-one private CBT, the purpose of which was to get me going, through homework, on the thinking and behavioural changes which needed to become second nature to me as I worked towards recovery. 

Once the work became a part of me, the worksheets no longer needed completion. 

Such worksheets would also be part of a recovery workbook for OCD. 

An important sheet for us ourselves to prepare during therapy is a recovery blueprint - where we codify the especial things that work for us in treatment, and why. 

For those who have a copy of the great book "Break Free From OCD" co-written by Paul Salkovskis and others, there is a base template for preparing this in the appendix. 

It can't be reproduced here of course because of copyright, but the book is an excellent purchase anyway. 

Edited by taurean
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, IntrusiveThoughts said:

I would like to see a recommended books list about OCD - where can I find one? I really want a workbook. 

Take a look at the books on sale in the shop on the OCD-UK website. I think there is a workbook amongst them.