Cleaning out freezer

I have some things in the freezer that are very old but I am having trouble deciding whether to compost them (in municipal compost bin) or just throw them out. I worry that they are too far gone to compost safely or handle. (Some things I had put in the freezer because I was worried it was too old). On the other hand I don't like throwing out fish sealed in plastic for example because I think it will be super gross or turn into something dangerous in the landfill. Obviously most people don't worry about this but what do other people do? I also wonder what if we had a power cut when we were away? Some things have been in the freezer for three or four years.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Most people are not getting a scientifical investigation about what toxins there food have in them after such a time in there. To put things in perspective. For it to happen it have to be some kind of murderinvestigation or national threats.

What I am saying is that you need to do this without knowing, it is only then this will benefit you in the long run. DO NOT try to get knowledge about this before you throw it out.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Composting, recycling, etc. is all very good, there are lots of benefits to doing it.  For a non-OCD person it might be ok to take a few minutes to investigate whether an item like the one you describe can be composted.  But for someone in your situation, where that would likely result in compulsive behavior, I think the best course of action is this:  When in doubt, throw it out.  Its just not worth the anxiety you will probably go through if you go down the research rabbit hole on this.

Thank you OCDhavenobrain and dksea. I know I was overthinking things but sometimes it helps to write these things out. Now I realize how I have been worrying about things I don't need to. It helps put things into perspective.

Thank you again! :)