Hello everyone!

First of all, I’m not known on these boards but I’ve spent a bit of time reading them over the last few years and have found them amazingly helpful. Particular thanks to @taurean @PolarBear @dksea @OCDhavenobrain And many, many others. I have found your replies helpful to remind me to keep on track with my OCD journey.

I feel I have really got a handle on my OCD, particularly the more horrible thoughts I ever had. I never ruminate on them anymore and that’s such a difference from even a year ago when they consumed my every being. There’s just this one event that has thrown me into a spin whereby I did something that I really shouldn’t have. It was wrong to do so but I didn’t even think it was wrong at the time, it was a few weeks after that OCD bit me. I’m really unsure about whether to confess or whether it’s good to challenge myself as I know now what I did was wrong, (although that didn’t cross my mind at the time), I’ve learned from it and I won’t do it again. But I feel like I’m unsure if this is OCD or just genuine guilt. (I’m still learning the difference!) It can be very hard to separate the two. What I did wrong may be held to gaining 'ill-gotten gains.' I feel like I need to deal with this to gain ‘self-forgiveness.’ My rumination on so many other things has greatly improved but it’s so frustrating I’m stuck on this event! How have people dealt with forgiving themselves without the need to confess or how did you know what was appropriate for the situation?

Edited by greentop
Mistake

Hi greentop, 

The brain obsessing about something wrong we have done, the compulsive urge to confess and, usually, a feeling "I ought to be punished" (though doesn't seem like that is present in your case) is typical of OCD. 

We have all done things that were wrong. The best solution is to acknowledge that to ourselves, learn from it, and apply self-forgiveness and move on. 

So this is what you need to do. When an intrusion about this pops into your head, remember this, just think of it as "just my silly obsession" and refocus away. 

Keep doing that until that, not thinking about the obsessional thought, becomes your default response - and you will break free. 

I am so glad you have found our guidance on these forums helpful. 

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Roy 

So common, guilt with OCD.

You say you can't tell the difference between real guilt and OCD induced guilt. Well, what is the diffrrence? A liitle guilt teaches you a lesson but what's the sense in feeling guilty for weeks, months or years? It does no good. Even if you did something wrong, there is no rule that you have to punish yourself for X amount of time.

Let it go.