Are we even real?

Guest Paul92

Well Mr Tolle will not get one more follower in me. 

Paul you seem to be giving incredible powers to your sertraline pill. Look back on what I said about it earlier. Sadly a number of people recently have obsessively feared taking meds and of course it only makes them more anxious. 

You really need to shift attention, refocus. Get interested and absorbed in other things. My wife and I have plenty of interests that keep us mentally well and pleasantly happy - gardening TV reading cooking and listening to the radio have absorbed us this week :)

Edited by taurean
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Paul92 said:

We think bad things are happening to US, when ultimately, the US is an illusion. Does this make sense?

Oh I understand the argument, I just think its pointless, and I think you should too, because its only making you suffer, its adding nothing of value to your life.

So when I'm hugging my loved ones, I'm hugging a bag of particles that thinks it is something that it isn't.

So I'm a bag of particles? So what?  Bag of particles, tiny microscopic elves, it doesn't particularly matter what I'm made of.  I can't change it, it doesn't change how I experience life, etc.  

Absolute entities, but we aren't. We're just a mental construct, can anyone not see that?

Again I go back to the problem of you asserting as conclusive fact something that is at best an opinion.  Being a "bag of particles" doesn't make me an illusion.  That is not a fact, and you don't have to buy it.  You can accept that you are a bag of particles and still yourself, these things are independent of each other.  OCD is presenting you with a false premise, you don't have to buy it.  

The issue is not that I don't understand what you are saying Paul, that I don't understand the arguments you are putting forth.  I absolutely understand them, I get what you are saying and what your fear is, the difference is I don't buy in to the false premise that OCD is presenting you, the need for absolutely certainty.  I am who and what I am, regardless of what that is, whether I'm a bag of particles, or a bunch of bits in some cosmic computer, whatever.  I have a sense of self and experience life with that sense of self, I am me.  I don't worry about the details, the particle bag part, because it doesn't matter, it doesn't change anything about my life.  I could spend eternity questioning things like you seem to be doing, or I can live my life.  The later option seems far more worthwhile than the former.  You are who you are, regardless of what you are made of, you can't change that part of life, but you can change the part where you are suffering from OCD, you can move past this.  You don't have to live with this anxiety, but you need to start by making a choice not to play the game.