I'm so frustrated, I've been trying to keep from obsessing about this all day. The trouble is I don't know if it's something that's worth warning someone about, or if it really is completely unimportant. I've been doing a bit better recently at refusing to ruminate, but today I feel particularly stressed, so my OCD is more intense.

I'm currently staying with my Dad at his house for a few days. I packed a bag of embroidery thread and a needle, so I could do some sewing while I was here (something I love doing) and I got it out yesterday to do some sewing. But now I'm wracked with anxiety that there might have been loose needles in the bag that fell on the floor or sofa without me noticing, and are lying in wait ready for someone to sit or stand on one :sweat:

I worry about this quite frequently, as I am annoyingly good at putting a needle down somewhere in between sewing and then forgetting where, and spending ages anxiously trying to find it (especially as they can be hard to see!). This time I was careful to make sure I put the needle I intentionally brought back in its case, but the thought that I might have left needles in there from a previous sewing session is really upsetting me. It's very unlikely I would have left them loose in there but I do sometimes pin them to a cotton reel, and 'what if one detached', 'what if I did put one in there on its own', etc etc. The chances of there having been any in there and me not seeing them as they fell on the floor seem pretty slim, but as always OCD doesn't care about how likely it is, just that it could have happened - and if it did it's ALL MY FAULT :headslap:Therefore I'm constantly wondering if I should mention it to my Dad just to warn him to be careful in the living room, or if that's purely reassurance-seeking and I should leave it and try to challenge myself to wait out the anxiety. I don't know whether it's actually a good idea to check the floor and the sofa thoroughly (I did a quick check already) or just to leave it and assume it's OK. One of the hardest things I've encountered with OCD is that feeling that I can't remember what I used to know was an appropriate thing to worry about, back before I suffered from OCD, and what was just way out of proportion and ridiculous (I expect a lot of you can relate to this feeling!) and that I might genuinely accidentally do something stupid or put someone in danger, while thinking it's just an insignificant intrusive thought I need to challenge. Any thought that I may have harmed anyone really frightens me :( It's incredible how OCD can make something as seemingly tiny as this feel like you've caused the world to end! :wacko:

Apologies if this is a bit reassurance-seeking, that's not my intention. I felt it might help to write this all down. 

Many thanks

Hey Sputnik, this is definitely OCD and not worth so much bother. I think you’re catastrophising a bit here, even if someone does sit on one of these pins they won’t die. Try your best to let it go.

22 hours ago, malina said:

Hey Sputnik, this is definitely OCD and not worth so much bother. I think you’re catastrophising a bit here, even if someone does sit on one of these pins they won’t die. Try your best to let it go.

Thanks Malina, I really appreciate it! :) I've managed to just about let go of it now. Got to keep on going :57439eb60db27_thumbup:

i can so relate to your post Sputnik. That's great that you were able to let it go! i needed a boost today so seeing you standing up to your intrusive thoughts helps me try to do the same! :) 

37 minutes ago, leif said:

i can so relate to your post Sputnik. That's great that you were able to let it go! i needed a boost today so seeing you standing up to your intrusive thoughts helps me try to do the same! :) 

Aww :thankyousign: so much Leif, and that's great I'm glad to hear it! Hope you're OK, keep at it :)

3 hours ago, Sputnik said:

Hope you're OK, keep at it

Yes I keep plugging away! some days doing really well; others...not so much...but yes, reading posts like yours really helps keep me on track!