Just taken first ever Sertraline 50mg

Guest Paul92

Guest Paul92

Just taken my first ever Sertraline tablet 50mg. It really really took some courage and now I'm worrying a little about what reaction I'm going to have. Trying to stay calm. I had to give it a try at least, didn't I? 

Scary because I live alone. Perhaps I need to get out of the house in case I have a strange reaction.. 

Hi Paul,

I have never taken this particular medication so I’m not sure what the side effects are exactly, but with most of these medications it seems unlikely that you take one and something dramatic happens. Firstly, they take a few weeks to build up in your system. The side effects are things like dry mouth of feeling tired. I wouldn’t panic if I were you. 

Guest Paul92
16 minutes ago, malina said:

Hi Paul,

I have never taken this particular medication so I’m not sure what the side effects are exactly, but with most of these medications it seems unlikely that you take one and something dramatic happens. Firstly, they take a few weeks to build up in your system. The side effects are things like dry mouth of feeling tired. I wouldn’t panic if I were you. 

Thanks for that. Well nothing major has happened thus far. Just feeling incredibly anxious today. Can't eat or function for it. I never used to be like this. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Could it be all your compulsions which have to be paid off? That seems to be the problem with compulsions, they are a shortterm solution.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Paul  worrying about the med is not going to help you. 

It takes a few days of taking SSRI pills before they build up in the system, and may take longer than that to show any improvement in your symptoms. 

Meanwhile there may be some usually short-term side effects - if they occur, these vary from person to person. Read the leaflet just to be aware. 

Any major issue, do get urgent medical advice - but most people seem to cope nicely with that med judging by the comments here. 

Edited by taurean
Guest Paul92

Thanks for the support. My anxiety is just through the roof again. I feel so sick. Don't think that is the pills just how I am at the minute. 

13 minutes ago, Paul92 said:

Thanks for the support. My anxiety is just through the roof again. I feel so sick. Don't think that is the pills just how I am at the minute. 

Paul, maybe use this as an opportunity to practice some self care. Whenever anxiety takes over like this, I make an effort to take good care of myself. So make sure you eat some good meals today, even if it feels difficult, maybe go for a walk or engage yourself in something you enjoy. Remember, as bad as this feels, it’s only an emotion. Nothing is actually going to happen, you’ve got this!

Guest Paul92
4 minutes ago, malina said:

Paul, maybe use this as an opportunity to practice some self care. Whenever anxiety takes over like this, I make an effort to take good care of myself. So make sure you eat some good meals today, even if it feels difficult, maybe go for a walk or engage yourself in something you enjoy. Remember, as bad as this feels, it’s only an emotion. Nothing is actually going to happen, you’ve got this!

Thanks for that. I really can't eat anything, I feel so sick and nervous. I don't think I've ever felt as low in my entire life. 

I was the same as you when I first tried meds Paul so I can relate! I had to start on the tiniest dose and work up to  what they even considered a starting dose I was so scared!

They made a huge difference to my recovery in the end--I hope they will do the same for you.

I'm just working on an increase on mine again and always get a little anxious doing that.

Not nearly as bad as when I first tried them though. I hope once you see you don't have a big reaction you'll start to feel less anxious about taking it.