On and on and on

Hello everyone, 

here I am once again, sorry in advance, some of you will probably know we’ve had a wet room fitted, which was hell on earth for my contamination OCD, well it’s all done, we have a part shower screen up and a shower curtain for the gap, my problem at the moment is, washing myself and thinking I have gone too close to the bottom of the shower curtain. The shower unit is set low down for a disabled person, this is for my husband. I am really trying not to be ungrateful but I am crying in frustration every time I shower. I keep on washing myself repeatedly. I would feel better if there was a half shower screen all across the shower, thus containing the shower curtain, I think I feel too exposed. Any ideas please, thankyou .x?❤️

sorry this is an add on to my previous post, on and on and on, the shower curtain is causing me anxiety due to my husband getting our dogs poop up then going in the shower and his feet obviously go near the bottom of the shower curtain. Ahhh I know it sounds so ridiculous, but ..... ❤️

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Why are you writing in bold and why did you feel the need to tell us even more?

What do you think you should do?

Hope you are getting a great weekend

Hi Madchoc,

In these kinds of situations, I try to just slowly cut back on amount of compulsions done so as to expose yourself to your anxiety but maybe in a slower amount.

You say you are washing yourself repeatedly--are there a certain amount of times you are rewashing, so that you could cut it back systematically?

Maybe do some cognitive work too. The fact that you were feeling terribly anxious about getting the wet room fitted and then survived that, and nothing bad happened--can you draw on that experience to know that you can work on this situation that is anxious for you?

I know new situations can often trigger me going into a bit of a panic and resorting to a lot of compulsions. Over time I tend to adjust and the anxiety goes down as I see there is nothing to worry about.

wishing you well

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I would like to advice you to really try to look inwards and see why you want us to know as much as possible in this case about your contamination-issue. I am giving you this advice because I think you need to understand what really is going on here and where the problem is. I don't really think that your shower is the real problem here.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

There are two parts to this type of obsession.

First, OCD always lies. It doesn't say, there's a tiny possibility that I have dog poop on me. No. It says, IT IS DEFINITE YOU HAVE HUGE AMOUNTS OF DOG POOP ALL OVER YOU!!!!!!!!! It's a lie. OCD always exaggerates. Always. Learn that.

Second, so what if you did get a tiny bit of dog poop on you? It's not going to kill you. I know just the thought causes you anxiety but it's just a thought.

You've got to cut out your compulsions. That's what is keeping you trapped.

9 hours ago, Madchoc said:

Just wish it would go away. OCD is truly horrible as we all know.

yes, it really can give us a hard time. I hope you can work through this latest issue with good success!

10 hours ago, Madchoc said:

Thanks for all the replies, I do appreciate it. Just wish it would go away. OCD is truly horrible as we all know. Have a good weekend everyone. X❤️

OCD is truly horrible, but ...but I can't emphasize this enough, try to not hate it too much, or focusing on the hating. OCD loves nothing better than to feel powerful. Try to just disdain it. 

6 hours ago, paradoxer said:

OCD is truly horrible, but ...but I can't emphasize this enough, try to not hate it too much, or focusing on the hating. OCD loves nothing better than to feel powerful. Try to just disdain it. 

This is great advice (I've thought this about loads of things you've said, Paradoxer!)

I've found that treating it with disdain is the best thing you can do.  Fighting it, or hating it, or basically doing anything with it is giving it power.  Your brain thinks: "if you hate it this much it must be important, right?"  The aim should be to respond with a shrug of the shoulders and "meh".  You don't care if it sticks around or not, you've got better things to do with your time than waste time on OCD. 

20 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

This is great advice (I've thought this about loads of things you've said, Paradoxer!)

I've found that treating it with disdain is the best thing you can do.  Fighting it, or hating it, or basically doing anything with it is giving it power.  Your brain thinks: "if you hate it this much it must be important, right?"  The aim should be to respond with a shrug of the shoulders and "meh".  You don't care if it sticks around or not, you've got better things to do with your time than waste time on OCD. 

Yep, OCD hates indifference! And thanks for the kind comment gingerbreadgirl. :)