Hi everyone, I suffer from severe contamination OCD and showering is a nightmare, it seems worse in our new wet room, before we had a shower cubicle, now it is a half way full screen then a gap. This makes me feel so uncomfortable and vulnerable, also the shower leaves some water on the floor, I hate this because being wet, makes me feel like sticky I worry someone will tread in the water, which will contaminate the shower. Any advice please, is showering a problem for anyone else? Thanks ❤️?

I'm sure some people have challenges with showers. The mind can create the weirdest things to fixate on.

It's all a lie. There is no contamination. OCD lies 100% of the time. It never tells the truth.

What you need to do is get control over your compulsions. Whatever you do to fix the problem (which doesn't exist) is a compulsion and needs to stop.

Compulsions draw attention to perceived problems, making them feel more threatening.

Get in, take a quick shower and get out. Repeatedly doing this will put OCD in its place.

Guest OCDhavenobrain
1 hour ago, Handy said:

Public showers are tricky. I know a gal that wears flip flops to protect feet from floor water.

And? Please stop trolling 

1 hour ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I agree this is really unkind trolling. 

And your editorializing is not? When you complain about complaining you are complaining. The person was asking for advice so I gave some. What assistive advice did you give other than to complain?

If Polar Bear took his own advice & it worked he wouldn’t need medication.  At least I take my own advice. 

16 minutes ago, Handy said:

If Polar Bear took his own advice & it worked he wouldn’t need medication.  At least I take my own advice. 

If you knew PolarBear's story, handy, you would know why he also needs medication. 

CBT is an excellent treatment for OCD, but some sufferers need medication in addition to it in order to recover - exactly why that is is not perhaps yet fully understood. 

And in my own case CBT was insufficient. I had resilience problems which caused relapses and this problem is very much reduced using the SSRI drug Citalopram. 

I also needed to learn and deploy mindfulness in order to escape from constantly-repeating OCD intrusions in my mental chatter. 

Making sweeping, apparently definitive, statements which the forum users don't deem correct is not helpful handy, though you are trying to help. 

The content you quote suggests that you may have been carrying out compulsive research to determine all this material. Since knowledge here shows carrying out compulsions only strengthens OCD, I am not sure how such information, factual or not, might be beneficial to those here seeking to recover from OCD. 

Edited by taurean
1 hour ago, Handy said:

What an utterly heartless, ignorant, and irresponsible thing to say.  

First, medication (particularly SSRI's) are a widely recognized and evidence based part of OCD treatment.  That is a fact.
Second, unless you are the persons doctor, you are not REMOTELY qualified to diagnose whether or not they do or do not need medication.
Third, to personally attack someone out of the blue like that is utterly uncalled for. 

You should be ashamed of your conduct and should apologize to Polar Bear for your discourteous behavior, as well as Maddchoc for derailing their thread.

1 hour ago, Handy said:

And your editorializing is not? When you complain about complaining you are complaining.

No, its not.  Calling out bad behavior is not itself also bad behavior.  Calling out intolerance is not itself intolerant.  We are attempting to self-police the forum, and allow you the opportunity to reflect on your behavior and change it.  If you prefer we can certainly elevate it to official complaints and allow the moderators and administrators to step in, results which would not likely end favorably for you.

13 hours ago, Madchoc said:

I hate this because being wet, makes me feel like sticky I worry someone will tread in the water, which will contaminate the shower. Any advice please, is showering a problem for anyone else?

To get things back on track, I think PB gives some great advice. Its good to remember that how you feel about a situation and whats true of the situation can (more often than we think) be different things.  You can feel anxiety and fear even if there is no real threat, as is often the case with OCD.  Remembering that is something that has helped me in my OCD recovery.  I can both recognize that I FEEL anxious about something, but that doesn't mean that I need to actually DO anything about it.  Think of it like a false alarm.  Your smoke detector went off because someone burned the popcorn not because your house is on fire.

3 hours ago, Handy said:

And your editorializing is not? When you complain about complaining you are complaining. The person was asking for advice so I gave some. What assistive advice did you give other than to complain?

Once again you throw something out that is so blown out of proportion it is astounding. Not to mention that you have sunk to a new low.

I did take my own advice. I overcame OCD. I needed help in the form of meds to calm me down enough to be able to function and do the necessary CBT work. And I did the work. I do not advise anyone here to do anything that I did not first do.

Also note that I was diagnosed with severe OCD, GAD, panic attacks and Major Depressive Disorder. Meds helped me with all, immensely.

Now if you're done with your attack, perhaps we can get back to the topic of this thread.

6 hours ago, Handy said:

The person was asking for advice so I gave some. 

The advice you gave was to say you know someone who wears flip flops because showers are "tricky" - what sort of advice is that when the OP's fear is around showering? I think you get a kick out of this and that's truly sad. At first I thought you were ignorant but now I think you enjoy winding people up.