I didn’t have this obsession about a month ago but now I suddenly do and it’s really taking away from the quality of my life.

Basically, whenever I’m eating I get intrusive thoughts that I am going to choke and die. I don’t know what to do because then I get anxiety and hyper aware of how I am swallowing my food or chewing and it just feels hard to swallow. 

Hi Nicolette,

If you can't find any specific help, then it might be worth you having a search around online for "sensorimotor ocd".

As chewing is a natural process, I would think this will be a short lived obsession, & things will return back to normal sooner rather than later.

Sorry I can't be of any further help, & best wishes.

I've had an obsession with swallowing /my throat and it sucks :( 

With me it did get better and never came back and the key I think was to stop fighting it, stop trying to not think about it, just think "OK this is my life now, I will forever think of swallowing, fine". I found  once  I stopped putting up a resistance my brain soon got bored of it. 

On 24/04/2019 at 11:37, gingerbreadgirl said:

I've had an obsession with swallowing /my throat and it sucks :( 

With me it did get better and never came back and the key I think was to stop fighting it, stop trying to not think about it, just think "OK this is my life now, I will forever think of swallowing, fine". I found  once  I stopped putting up a resistance my brain soon got bored of it. 

Thank you for the response :)

Honestly it’s really triggering because I will try to swallow some food and if some of it doesn’t completely go down in one swallow (so like some bits of food remain at the back of my tongue/opening of my throat) then I start to panic really badly about then swallowing the “stuck” piece incorrectly and choking/dying.

I think I’m stuck between fearing dying from choking and also just my life being ruined by this obsession as in I won’t be able to eat properly or enjoy eating anymore :( 

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I am currently going through the exact same thing as you have just described. It fits the last few weeks for me to a T and it's incredibly scary as I normally love food. I hope you're doing better these days ❤️