Husband struggling

Hi, my husband is really struggling with my OCD, He is looking after me really well, but of course gets very frustrated with me and angry, he says he has no life due to my severe OCD. How best can he help me and him.OCD as we know is very hard to live with. Xx

In my area there are support groups for relatives of individuals who have serious mental health problems.  Such groups can provide mutual support. A friend of my mine whose son has bipolar and has had to appear at various mental health tribunals finds the support useful. You could see if there are such groups in Stroke.

Make sure that he has time for himself. It is a pity that there is no respite care for people with a functional mental illness as there is for those with the organic neurological illnesses which affect mental functioning such as dementia. Through even these facilities are limited. But scheduled breaks in care could be arranged.

The longer term solution of course is your recovery.

Edited by Angst

Thanks for your reply, Angst, has anyone else to add about my husband, I really feel for him. I know how very  frustrating it must be living with me and OCD, I couldn’t manage without him. Xxx Thanks in advance. Xxx

Are you having therapy madchoc? If so, it might be helpful for the therapist to include your husband in a session, help him better understand how to help you. If not, he could read Break free from OCD, my partner did that and it helped him understand what was going on for me. It can be really tough on partners, I suppose the best thing you can do is focus on your recovery. Even small achievements can have a big affect on hopefulness and optimism in relationships, they can also provide opportunities to do something nice for them as well as kicking OCD butt. 

As long as your hub enables your OCD it'll continue. It is important that he does not enable it & that you don't allow him to. He must offer emotional support, but not reassurance.

• 3 weeks later...

I am the husband of someone with severe OCD and I know how hard it is. There are support groups in some places and OCD Action has conference call support groups but I have not found either useful (that is just a personal opinion). The thing that has been most important for us is that why wife is having regular CBT so I know she is trying to get better..and I now join most of her CBT sessions (all done on Skype) so I can understand the process she is going through better. Please feel free to direct message me if you want to share further...

• 2 weeks later...

Obsessed Tv is a tv show that does CBT in action. There are 2 seasons. Lots of themes.  You can see free trailers. CBT is best not sitting in a chair chatting it's very interactive.

Edited by Handy