Don't Forget The Benefits Of Exercise Meditation & Mindfulness

We all need to understand, then work through, our cognitive behavioural therapy in order to recover from OCD. And a walk around the boards at the moment will show just who isn't on the right strategy -  searching for certainty they can never find or have, believing OCD's obsessions, carrying out compulsions are classic current problems based on lack of understanding or belief in the cognitive side of OCD, and the n eed  to change our behavioural response 

But we can in addition help ourselves by taking exercise, and using some simple relaxation meditation and mindfulness skills,

There are plenty of threads about this to be found here. I will post some links, but why this is important can also be found on the main OCD-UK website.

Some people don't believe in mindfulness but, as I well know myself, it's a great way to focus the mind away from obsessing and carrying out compulsions and latching on to issues in the past, and just  think  in the present in the moment, without ongoing unhelpful mental chatter.  

Guest OCDhavenobrain

One could even believe you are a mind reader. :thankyousign:     No, but in my personal case, this is a good reminder. I think that we all need to keep calm whatever the situation. Watch your body, and most importantly your breathing and if you find yourself in breathing shortly or tensing up then watch it and go into the moment, maybe appreciate the high-defintion in your mobile phone or something else, do something which feels like a silly thing to do when you have so many more important task to do and you feel that you have to do them all now or else... 

Because after all we don't really know how long we have and perspective is everything. 

Belated happy birthday Tauren

2 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

One could even believe you are a mind reader. 

Actually that's quite a shrewd observation - because an important element of my work, during my job as an insurance broker and consultant, was learning psychological skills to form opinions about the people involved in potential deals, so as to obtain the best, and most suitable offer from insurers that would meet the expectations of the customers. 

Understanding the psychological make-up and parameters of thinking of those persons really helped this to take place. 

7 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Belated happy birthday Tauren

Thank you havenobrain. It was a good day, though my wife was tired so I spent a lot of time resting, watching sport on TV. 

Techniques such as you describe and I feature in the links are simple to learn and wonderful to use. 

They won't cure our OCD, but they can give us rest and recuperation so better to tackle it with CBT.