Contamination question

Hi, 

I would like a little advice or perspective on what to do about a situation that’s occurred this evening.

Our cat has bought a half dead mouse inside and dumped it into my 6 yr old daughters school shoe (brand new £40 Clarkes!) the cat then started attacking the shoe and mouse inside making a loud noise, I came to see what the fuss was about there it was.

This is the 3rd dead animal brought inside in as many weeks. 

The mouse has been put outside to recover or die, I’m not sure. And I want to chuck the shoe away and plan to do so. Which means trainers for the little one until I can go to shops and purchase the same pair again.

this is reasonable behaviour.....isn’t it? I can’t comprehend the alternative. 

Here's my take, keep the shoe. You might swab it down with a sponge and a bit of disinfectant. I guess you'll hear others say, don't even do that ... but the one thing that seems certain keep the shoe, and move on. 

I agree, a minor clean out (not everyone would) and carry on. We had loads of half dead mice in our house when we were young. If it had been on the carpet would you chuck that out, i don't think so. 

I can really identify with you storm. I have a phobia of rodents.  And I have chucked things away because of this. But I reckon the advice given is sound. Though I would have difficulty accepting it.

17 hours ago, paradoxer said:

. You might swab it down with a sponge and a bit of disinfectant.

What if I use too strong chemicals or don’t disinfect enough? The chemicals could soak through to the skin, but so could anything else unpleasant. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

You need to stop the what ifs. You got answers what to do. No more to do. Ultimately it could be dangerous, but everything can

32 minutes ago, Storm said:

What if I use too strong chemicals or don’t disinfect enough? The chemicals could soak through to the skin, but so could anything else unpleasant. 

And there, my fellow OCD sufferer, you go. It never ends. Make your best guess, strong chemicals? you're joking aren't you? Do it. And forget it. 

12 minutes ago, paradoxer said:

And there, my fellow OCD sufferer, you go.

Paradoxer, all those years I struggled, undiagnosed and didn’t have a clue it was OCD. How could I have OCD when I was terrified of “germs” but too scared to clean? 

10 minutes ago, paradoxer said:

strong chemicals? you're joking aren't you?

Not joking unfortunately, this is one of the fears that used to rule my life. Believe it or not I’ve made huge progress, but every now and again something comes along and it feels like it’s going to set me back. 

3 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Warm, soapy water. A dish rag. Quick wipe out. Let dry. And that's it. 

No more cleaning. No disinfecting. No playing what if.

Tops my answer. The one to go with.