It's Not The Intrusion, It's How We Respond

Intrusive thoughts are part and parcel of life. And it's how we deal with them that determines how we will think and feel as a result.

OCD intrusive thoughts develop from an OCD theme. 

When, after working cognitive behavioural therapy, we learn not to believe, not to connect with, the OCD intrusions, they lose their power base, occur less frequently, and finally we find that we can simply ease them away. 

I am at this latter stage, so I KNOW we all have the capability to do this. I changed my belief and my response and kept doing that in an upwards curve, despite any setbacks. 

It really is about the learning to respond without belief, and not connecting with intrusions. Working through cognitive behavioural therapy until those intrusions, and the OCD threats and fears they carry, no longer have an effect on us. 

Good post Roy although I'm not sure I totally agree with this:

2 hours ago, taurean said:

OCD intrusive thoughts develop from an OCD theme

I don't think intrusive thoughts emerge from a theme. I don't think there are such things as "ocd intrusive thoughts" - I think thoughts are just thoughts. If we respond with compulsions then we experience with distress. I think this is an important distinction as I think many people want to get rid of "ocd thoughts" but the thoughts themselves are not special or different in any way. 

20 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I don't think intrusive thoughts emerge from a theme. I don't think there are such things as "ocd intrusive thoughts" - I think thoughts are just thoughts. 

Whatever. Getting the message across is the important thing :)

Yes definitely :) I guess the point I was trying to make - not very articulately - is that we shouldn't be trying to get rid of the thoughts or categorising them as "bad" in some way. All thoughts are the same, there isn't a special category of ocd thoughts and we shouldn't be trying to stop thoughts from happening (imo).