Is fantasizing also intrusion?

Hi all. Recently I discovered that sometimes I daydream about horrible stuff happening around me. For example; I suddenly had a thought about how people around me would react and comfort me an my wife if our son who is almost 5 months old right now would pass away. Immediately I felt extreme guilt and regret and now I feel like a monster as if I would want this to happen just to get some attention? 

Why do I engage in such weird 'scenarios'? 

They are not real intrusions because I sort of go with them as in daydreaming? 

But since that happened I've been getting real intrusions about it happening, and it being my fault, even getting intrusions because of it that make me being a murderer. 

What is this and how can I stop this? 

I really love my son, wife and family and don't want them to be hurt, but occasionally I notice myself daydreaming something might happen to them, I feel like such a bad monster because of that right now. 

Help please!!!! 

Oh and the fantasies are never about hurting the person but more about how others would react to it and comforting me or each other.. Am I sick in my head for doing this? 

Am I a monster? 

No it's just brain stuff. They ponder things sometimes, means nothing, but very typical of OCD sufferers to put a meaning on it. Start acting like what it was, just something brains do sometimes whether we want them to or not. 

But why would someone play scenarios inside there head if in reality they would not want that to take place? 

I do know I've been fantasizing about being the centre of attention from when I was a child I fantasized about dying and people would stand at my grave in tears and showing how much they care for me. 

I think this sort of thing is very common people daydream and fantasise about all kinds of things they wouldn't want in real life, thoughts mean nothing. 

That said I think you're looking for reassurance again - you come here to get it then come back next time with a different topic. When are you going to break the cycle? 

15 minutes ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I think this sort of thing is very common people daydream and fantasise about all kinds of things they wouldn't want in real life, thoughts mean nothing. 

That said I think you're looking for reassurance again - you come here to get it then come back next time with a different topic. When are you going to break the cycle? 

It's because every time something hits me that is diffrent then before, and I start getting anxious if it is ocd or not. So I feel I must find out if it's ocd so I can try and 'ignore' the issue as I try to do with the rest of my ocd themes. 

Have a quick look at DSM5 to see the definition of an intrusive thought which is in the paragraph umbrella of obsession. There is a debate about this elsewhere on the forum. I think we should all do this to empower ourselves. OCD is a diagnostic category and its  lexicon is DSM5.

Edited by Angst

I don't think fantasies are intrusive thoughts per se but I think the anxiety that can come after  (am I a bad person? What does this say about me?) is ocd. 

Controversial but I actually think too much emphasis is placed on intrusive thoughts when discussing ocd (just my opinion). 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

I to suffer from this !! And knowledge is definitely power I just googled maladaptive day dreaming I never knew it was even a thing until now !!! So thank you for sharing ?