This isn't entirely OCD related, but I have just seen some general progress in myself and I attribute this to CBT, so I wanted to share :)

I had a stressful situation today, I lost my phone on the underground. I think it may have even been stolen by a pickpocket. In any case, it is an incresibly stressful situation. Before starting CBT, 6 months ago, I would have completely panicked in this situation. I would undoubtably have been in tears, thinking that someone was going to steal my identity. However, I realised that I have become much better at handling stress. I am very worried, but I managed to keep calm and take all of the steps that I could take tonight and will keep trying to sort things out tomorrow. When it first happened, my intrusive thoughts about harm came up as well, they always do in stressful situations. I was able to manage them and continue doing the tasks I needed to. 

I honestly can't believe that I was able to handle a situation like this calmly and without breaking down. I honestly attribute this to CBT. In addition to teaching me about coping with OCD-specific things, I think it has given me a new approach in life where I am able to view things more rationally.

I am mainly writing this for myself, but I wanted to share in case anyone out there feels like they aren't able to change. If I could achieve this step, you can too!

9 minutes ago, Orwell1984 said:

This has actually helped me tonight. Thanks. I must revisit CBT

Thank you Orwell, I've seen your thread, I hope that things work out for you. Hang in there! 

Thanks everyone! I did actually learn a lot from this experience.

I found that the things OCD makes us do (panic, compulsions, rituals) seem like they are preventing harm but are actually very counter productive. They don't really do anything to help us in difficult situations and interfere with the steps that we actually need to take in order to solve the problem. They are also incredibly exhausting mentally and physically. 

I am glad that I have been able to see this. Now must call TFL lost and found!

Edited by malina
19 hours ago, malina said:

Thanks everyone! I did actually learn a lot from this experience.

I found that the things OCD makes us do (panic, compulsions, rituals) seem like they are preventing harm but are actually very counter productive. They don't really do anything to help us in difficult situations and interfere with the steps that we actually need to take in order to solve the problem. They are also incredibly exhausting mentally and physically. 

I am glad that I have been able to see this. Now must call TFL lost and found!

:goodpost:Well done malina :57439eb60db27_thumbup: Your words are really helping me. Thanks :hug: