OCD targeting my relationship

I have been married for 40 years and in this time suffered from paedophilic ocd and harm ocd . I have had at least 4 relapses in my OCD around periods of stress such as unemployment or the death of my father . The intrusive thought have been in the background but relatively easily dismissed . For the last 5 months I have been suffering from severe ocd about these issues as well as a new focus on my relationship , because rumination plays a large part in my ocd I can spend hours thinking and going through thoughts . . I am now finding it very difficult to cope with this in relation to my relationship with my wife . I know anxiety can rob you of positive emotions it has certainly done that for me having lost interest in everything and no longer even having a desire to face each day , but ocd is a unique ******* when it uses that to target our relationship and send us intrusive thoughts and rumination about whether I love my wife or she loves me. When it creates scenarios in your mind of separation and feelings like you are splitting up . When it forces you to seek reassurance by constantly asking for love . My wife knows I am suffering and attributes this to my OCD and endless rumination but then I simply begin to doubt if this is my OCD although it creates the same behaviours in me of rumination , checking avoidance etc. If you struggle with relationship issues during OCD or ROCD do you have any experiences on how to cope with this and what worked for you .

Hi Skippy,

I relate to your problem all too well, it's been haunting me ever since I had my first boyfriend. I think that the way to approach it is just like any other OCD theme. I know this is easier said than done, but in reality that is all it is.

So, identify the compulsions that you're doing - from your post I can see rumination, checking, avoidance already mentioned. Work on putting a stop to these.

Then with the cognitions, you know this is complete nonsense. You've been married for 40 years, try to dismiss this as simple OCD nonsense. 

Good luck!