Sertraline side effects

Please tell me the side effects on Sertraline get better?

I'm two days in and very close to calling it quits.

I am nauseous, have an awful headache , blurred vision and tingling and numbness in my arms. Also terrible (tension?) pains in my neck and shoulders.

I'm starving hungry but just can't face food.

Didn't sleep a wink last night, even though I'm exhausted :weep:

My new 'flavour' of ocd is health anxiety, and feeling this way is just making the problem worse.

I know it's early days, but is it possible anti d's just aren't for me?

Edited by sufferer

It's more likely you have brought on these symptoms by worrying about the possibility of side effects. 

I bet you read the leaflet over and over again? Are obsessing over the potential for problematic side effects? 

8 minutes ago, taurean said:

It's more likely you have brought on these symptoms by worrying about the possibility of side effects. 

I bet you read the leaflet over and over again? Are obsessing over the potential for problematic side effects? 

I don't think so. I do have a virus at the moment too, so it's hard to know what is causing what, but I'm pretty sure the headache, tingling arms and visual problems are from the meds :blush:

4 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Usually side effects taper off after a little while. Give it a few more days and try not to focus on any alleged side effects.

I keep thinking it isn't ok to feel like this and maybe I'm reacting badly. The headache is awful :weep:

2 hours ago, sufferer said:

I don't think so. I do have a virus at the moment too, so it's hard to know what is causing what, but I'm pretty sure the headache, tingling arms and visual problems are from the meds :blush:

Sleep deprivation can do that too! And cause headaches. 

I know it's another medication, but you could consider asking your doctor to prescribe a short amount of diazepam/another benzodiazepine. Taking them long term can cause dependency, but a small prescription to take when you're intensely anxious can provide a bit of respite. It might help you relax a little and ease your muscles. 

Takes 12 weeks & in that time your anxiety rises.  

Whats your dosage?

Did you ask your doctor about side effects before you took them?

1 hour ago, Handy said:

Whats your dosage?

Sigh. Not true. Your innaccurate information is troubling.

It can take UP TO 12 weeks to see the full benefit of an SSRI. Many people notice an improvement sooner.

It is typical for a person's anxiety level to rise in the short term when starting an SSRI. This usually does not last long.

11 hours ago, Raffles said:

Sleep deprivation can do that too! And cause headaches. 

I know it's another medication, but you could consider asking your doctor to prescribe a short amount of diazepam/another benzodiazepine. Taking them long term can cause dependency, but a small prescription to take when you're intensely anxious can provide a bit of respite. It might help you relax a little and ease your muscles. 

True enough. I do worry about taking meds, I think throwing another one into the mix might make my anxiety even worse. It's certainly worth a thought though, so thank you :)

8 hours ago, Handy said:

Whats your dosage?

I'm on 50mg daily. I've taken SSRIs before and know and have struggled with the side effects. I think because my ocd has fixated on my health atm, it's a particular concern.

6 hours ago, PolarBear said:

It can take UP TO 12 weeks to see the full benefit of an SSRI. Many people notice an improvement sooner.

It is typical for a person's anxiety level to rise in the short term when starting an SSRI. This usually does not last long.

Thank you, PolarBear. I've fallen at the first hurdle with SSSIs before. Will stick with it, hoping for an improvement soon.

2 hours ago, sufferer said:

True enough. I do worry about taking meds, I think throwing another one into the mix might make my anxiety even worse. It's certainly worth a thought though, so thank you :)

I get that. I only take Diazepam if I'm so anxious my chest hurts and I'm close to inconsolable. It's a last resort -- and I certainly wouldn't want to take it regularly since it can stop being so effective, but it's good to know it's there if I can't reduce intense anxiety by other means.

I think I said in your other thread on appetite, it only took a couple of weeks after starting Sertraline again to be able to eat normally. Getting that sustenance inside me made the world of difference in being able to cope day-to-day. 

1 hour ago, Raffles said:

I get that. I only take Diazepam if I'm so anxious my chest hurts and I'm close to inconsolable. It's a last resort -- and I certainly wouldn't want to take it regularly since it can stop being so effective, but it's good to know it's there if I can't reduce intense anxiety by other means.

I think I said in your other thread on appetite, it only took a couple of weeks after starting Sertraline again to be able to eat normally. Getting that sustenance inside me made the world of difference in being able to cope day-to-day. 

That's good to know. Thank you.