Is it a compulsion to do something to prevent the risk of a feared scenario from occurring? 

The answer seems to be an obvious yes based on that question alone, but I am really getting confused as to whether the urge is a compulsion or whether it’s just a sensible thing to do. The reason it’s making me confused is because the urge does not come as a direct response to an anxiety spike, but more to provide certainty that a feared outcome won’t occur. But the feared outcome is definitely a part of my OCD theme. 

It’s so confusing trying to figure out whether my motivation for acting is sensible or whether it’s just another sneaky part of my OCD. Can anyone help give me guidance on identifying a compulsion in this way? 

Your question is very abstract. It is best to be specific.

Your definition is too broad it would include putting a seat belt on.

So a compulsion is an unnecessary repetitive piece of behaviour. Like checking the door is locked and then checking again. Today I had the urge to return to my house to ensure that the iron was off. Though I had used it the previous evening and unplugged it. I did not return. I did not feel compelled to  check.

Edited by Angst

Thanks for your reply Angst. 

What I am trying to get at really is how to know whether a specific action is motivated by OCD fear or whether the decision to act is based on reasonable thought, when the subject of the action is within one of your OCD themes. 

Its also a difficult one as the action I’m struggling over isn’t one that can be done repetitively, but will elimintate the need to do this particular type of repetitive checking once I have done it. 

So let’s say you have ocd about being responsible for getting into an accident while driving and killing your family. Your compulsions involve continually checking the various components of your (second hand) vehicle for safety, as you are concerned that the age of the parts and the fact that they are second hand makes them more likely to malfunction than the components of a brand new car. 

So now let’s say you’re considering getting a new car. There are various “reasonable” motivations to getting a new car, such as money, safer design generally, etc. but a substantial reason behind your decision is that it will eliminate the fear that those particular components are going to cause an accident, and therefore the need to continually check the components of your car for safety. 

The decision doesn’t come as a direct response to an anxiety spike, but is still somewhat influenced by the OCD theme. How do you know what to do in that situation? I would certainly feel better buying the new car, but am I doing it for the right reasons? 

Very nice example. But would a new car solve repetitive behaviour?

A compulsion may provide a moment’s relief. But it becomes a habit and extends itself. So with the new car you might still check because you consider that their might be a manufacturing fault.

CBT cognitive and behavioural work would focus on your core belief which generates anxiety such as being responsible for killing your family.

The overriding principle of English law is the notion of the ‘reasonable man’ or woman. What they would do in any given situation. I think that the same principle arises in therapy as to what is reasonable or unreasonable behaviour. What is reasonable in taking safety precautions and what is not. It is for you decide and I think a discussion with a good therapist would help you decide together with any behavioural experiments he or she might recommend.

In my case my checking behaviours were so ingrained that my fears were made clear after forcing myself not to check. And then my core beliefs and fears emerged.

The visceral fears of not checking prompted my cognitive insight. That were worked on in therapy.

This is why I am so torn. Buying the new car so to speak, is a reasonable thing to do. But, at least half of my motivation to do it comes from an OCD and therefore unreasonable place, so it’s very difficult to know what to do. For instance, if I didn’t have OCD or my theme wasn’t related to this, would I still do the action? Half of me would (for the practical reasons), but I also wouldn’t do it based on the unreasonable rationale. It’s all so confusing! 

Feeding the OCD is what I am really trying not to do, which is why I am reluctant to make the choice until I am more sure that it’s for the right reasons, and not OCD as it definitely wouldn’t solve the repetitive behaviour in the long term. 

I’m currently waiting for CBT so don’t yet have a therapist I can hash this out with. Perhaps I should set a time delay on making the choice and see if my mind is any clearer at that time? 

@HadenoughofOCD - You present (quite well I might add) a tough dilemma.  My gut reaction on reading your posts is that you should keep your current car and work on reducing/eliminating the checking compulsions you are currently engaged in first.  There may be some legitimate reasons for buying a new car, but as you identify a significant reason is avoidance of your current anxieties and obsessions.  A new car may help in the short term, but I doubt it will help long term.

Here are some things you could do/consider

- If you have a spouse/partner then you can ask them what they think.  Presumably they would be involved with the decision to purchase a new vehicle anyway, so it would be reasonable to include them in the decision making of course.  If they don't think a new car is necessary you should probably go with that.
- If a spouse/partner is not an option, consider asking a close friend or family member, especially one who is aware of/understands your OCD.  They can give you a better evaluation as to the current state of your car than any of us on the forums can.
- Consider, do you have actual problems with the current car that cut in to your time and money because of its age or second hand nature? If not , if its operating more or less reasonably well and you are able to get what you need out of it, its probably fine to keep it especially as you can use it as a way to challenge your OCD.
- If you ARE having problems with the car, take it to a trusted/well rated mechanic for an evaluation.  See what they suggest and how long they believe the current car will operate safely for.  If its in dire straights then replacing it is reasonable, but if it only needs a minor fix or two but will otherwise last years, then you have your answer.

The trick will be accepting the outside advice you get and not continuing to ruminate over the decision.  But I definitely think the constant checking of the various car parts is compulsive and you should work on stopping that.  Best of luck!

Dksea, thanks for responding ?

Taking your advice and some time to consider things a little more, I think if I’m completely honest with myself, it is for compulsive purposes more than anything else as my primary motivation is really to prevent feeling anxiety; and perhaps the other reasonings for the purchase are in fact justification to bolster my case, so to speak, in kidding myself that it’s not OCD driven. Therefore getting a new car will take away all the anxiety I have around that particular vehicle, but as you said, doesn’t prevent another “what if” popping into my head potentially immediately after I buy it lol! 

Plus I have noticed that the thought to replace the car tends to come after a spell of uneasiness. Not enough to call it anxiety, but definitely response to an “off” feeling. So, I am instead going with what you suggested and use it as a tool to test my OCD. 

Im having a good OCD day today which I think helps my clarity in these situations, so I just have to remember this when my OCD spikes up and I’m all of a sudden browsing for new cars!