25 Tips For Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

These are great tips, thank you. 

Re agreeing with thoughts - I generally find this doesn't help me either.  In some ways the thought being true - although scary - would be a comfort because it would provide me with certainty. What troubles me and I think many ocd sufferers is uncertainty. So what I need to expose myself to is not knowing if the thought is true or not, leaving it as unresolved, uncertain and doubtful, and just getting on with my day.  

Also I think exposing yourself to the idea that the house is burning down is not that helpful. I got over my checking ocd by developing a more flexible theory B explanation and then tackling my compulsions using a hierarchy of exposure. I exposed myself to uncertainty rather than disaster because I think uncertainty is what we really fear. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that helps me - I don't know if y'all will agree with this - is reminding myself that no amount of rumination will change the past, or the thoughts I've had years ago. I punish myself by checking if I can do better, try harder, but it would push me to breaking point and essentially, 'the worst has already happened' because I've already defied the thoughts - already jumped over that ravine. And I know temporary relief will cure nothing. I can blame myself for past thoughts because I feel guilty for them but we are not our thoughts, they are not us and a thought is just a thought. So. *shrug*

C x

Guest OCDhavenobrain
2 minutes ago, Cub said:

One thing that helps me - I don't know if y'all will agree with this - is reminding myself that no amount of rumination will change the past, or the thoughts I've had years ago. I punish myself by checking if I can do better, try harder, but it would push me to breaking point and essentially, 'the worst has already happened' because I've already defied the thoughts - already jumped over that ravine. And I know temporary relief will cure nothing. I can blame myself for past thoughts because I feel guilty for them but we are not our thoughts, they are not us and a thought is just a thought. So. *shrug*

C x

Good point amd crucial. Going over things (psychodynamic style) is doing nothing. Wait I have tobchange that, doing so often makes it worse especially when one have OCD

Guys and girls remember that overcomming OCD is incredible simple. Everything else is just OCD doing its thing too you. Shoot it down

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

It is crucial for one to identify compulsions.

One more thing: by saying that you need complex methods I am afraid one is showing a misunferstanding of what is going on. What is happening is that the brain is signaling danger where there is no danger. That's it. 

Now, you can give the thoughts all lind of meaning and you can analyze and use fancy techniques, all you are doing is showing that part that "yep it is important"

Can I say one more thing? Not all anxiety, not all mental problems you have is OCD. And going to the other extreme where one thinks recovery is peace of mind is not that helpful. If you can make this moment better its great, do not idolize some recovered state. Do what you can for making this day a better day both OCD-wise and overall

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Behaviours forms us. 

And I really do think you are obsessing about getting the C right. You are educated enough

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

But I will say that, the task of identifying compulsions is a hard one.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

As I indicated in a previous post, why assume that one approach, under the CBT umbrella, suits all? It is not only the receiver of therapy who needs cognitive flexibility it is also the therapist.

Edited by Angst
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Angst I read your discussion with Polar. I am not sure I understood it. But I do not see any problem in accepting the truth and what they tell you. It is not lile you will act on it, nobody will kill people because the thoughts tells one he she is a murderer. But there will be a lot of anxiety. And that is ultimately a good thing. Did I get something wrong?

I am not sure whether we are in parallel universes but I don’t understand your post.

Nobody told me to leave the iron on. Who on earth would tell me to do that?

In fact, I had not, as discovered on my return home. My concern about leaving the iron on was about omission rather than committing arson. I think my thought processes were pretty typical of OCD checking.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Ok then. I misunderstood you. I were intredsted in discussing the overall ideas not your arsonproblem

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Polarbear had a perfectly fine discussion with you and you dragged in your reassuranceseeking.

You are not really kind if I have to be honest. I would call you flat out rude

Good luck with everything. I will not engage any further with you.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
Guest OCDhavenobrain
1 minute ago, Angst said:

This is false. I shall contact the Charity tomorrow. You are unfit to be on the forum. 

You come across as toxic. Last engagement from me. Shuting me down because I framed a question away from your reassuranceseeking. 

Bye

I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding here guys... I don't think ocdhaveno was accusing you of having an arson problem angst, I think he was trying to not to give you any reassurance about it albeit a bit clumsily. 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl
Guest OCDhavenobrain

I have no intrested in getting my posts framed such as Angst did to my post. I do understand that everybody with OCD will try to get reassurance when we are feeling bad but when you even accuse one because they doesn't frame it and then reporting.. I have  no sympathy. Sorry. Trying to take that user down.. 

By arson I mean the possivbility of arson, everybody could ultimately be guilty of arson when we leave our houses. That is a possibiltiy .

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

It's important that we all try to be polite and understanding when posting. 

We can't always agree, and from time to time offence may be caused. But let's remember we join the forum to seek or give help, and that - and being respectful - are overriding considerations to which we should aspire. 

Edited by taurean
Guest OCDhavenobrain

Sorry I shouldn't have responded. I just got frustrated with the framing. Sorry. I will take a note and act accordingly in the further.  Sometimes not answering is the best

I do not feel bad but angry. People with checking OCD feel hyper responsible that accidents do not happen. I check taps, gas rings, the front door. People who drive check that they have not injured anybody. I have OCD. I have received treatment. I do not seek reassurance because I did not check the iron. Checking OCD is the most common form of OCD followed by contamination. Have you been diagnosed with OCD and received treatment. Or a mere troll like one or two on here?

Edited by Angst