25 Tips For Succeeding in Your OCD Treatment

Guest OCDhavenobrain

"I think there's been a bit of a misunderstanding here guys... I don't think ocdhaveno was accusing you of having an arson problem angst, I think he was trying to not to give you any reassurance about it albeit a bit clumsily. "

What I was trying to do was to say that I wasn't interested in engaging in an individual obsession. Also with "arson", I was trying to highlight what you fear the most. I should just have written that I wasn't interested in discussing individual obsessions. Because of the reason that we are in a thread which is about the general

So I do guess that Gingerbread was right. Because right now it is too anxiety-provoking for you to accept the thought of you being a possible arson. 

Ultimately you have to admit to the thought of you being a possible arson (and admitting to you being one already is an effective but painful way of overcoming OCD), it being a possibility and it won't even bother you when you are recovered. But I do realize that this thought is scaring you right now and it got too much for you to handle. So not responding would be the right thing of me to do. 

However, I am not agreeing with trying to take individual members down so of that reason I will not involve myself any further. Good luck.

Now I will stop derailing a perfectly fine thread.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 14/05/2019 at 13:08, Angst said:

Surely in order not to engage with the thoughts we need to classify them as OCD thoughts in the first place. That is why one of the biggest reassurances to be found on the site is that the person has OCD and that their thought processes in particular instances are irrational

On 14/05/2019 at 20:15, Angst said:

What about ‘I must go back home on check that the iron is off’. If I ‘embrace’ the thought then I go back to check.

3 hours ago, Angst said:

As I indicated in a previous post, why assume that one approach, under the CBT umbrella, suits all? It is not only the receiver of therapy who needs cognitive flexibility it is also the therapist.

10 hours ago, gingerbreadgirl said:

I know your opinion you've told me many times :)  

I see you see it GBG, hence the smile, but he's being complimentary. 

Incidentally, for the sake of candor, I wrote the above, and decided not to post it, but due to the quirks of the site, here it is (I can delete my post, but not the GBG quote). Oh, well,    :wink: 

Edited by paradoxer
Guest OCDhavenobrain

I find this list, as I have said before, to be fantastic. If I had to give a tip which covers many of the points but is easier to follow and which sometimes or pretty often needs to be followed then it would be to NOT talk about OCD and do not think about OCD. The sufferer needs enough knowledge but many people do not just go to the top of the mountain when it comes to getting knowledge, they (of different reasons) get stuck in this mode. My theory is that it is such a great relief to finally understand OCD but getting relief (certainty) is also what we are wanting in general. 

Test yourself on how many times you think about OCD in a day, I bet you think about it to an absurd amount. For once it is OK to count. :) And it is important not to identify oneself with the disorder, you are more than OCD.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain