Clomipramine/ Anafranil

I’m now on my fifth week on mirtazapine and starting to struggle while it’s upped my mood and definitely my appetite over the last week I’ve had joint pain, dizzy spells, anger issues and strange problems at night waking up and not knowing where I am and getting out of bed for no reason plus vivid dreams not always nice! I was on paroxetine for a long while but I think it was starting to loose it’s effect. Has anyone had any experience with the above as a treatment for ocd and while I appreciate everyone’s different as regards how they take to these I’m just after opinions good or bad, cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I know when i started taking fluvoxamine the side effects went on for a few weeks, then went away. Side effects are normal, this may just be your body adapting to the new medication. Have a chat with the doctor who prescribed and see what they say. 

• 3 months later...
On 18/05/2019 at 20:15, phillev said:

I’m now on my fifth week on mirtazapine and starting to struggle while it’s upped my mood and definitely my appetite over the last week I’ve had joint pain, dizzy spells, anger issues and strange problems at night waking up and not knowing where I am and getting out of bed for no reason plus vivid dreams not always nice! I was on paroxetine for a long while but I think it was starting to loose it’s effect. Has anyone had any experience with the above as a treatment for ocd and while I appreciate everyone’s different as regards how they take to these I’m just after opinions good or bad, cheers.

Hi, I've had a lot of the same experiences as you. I was on Paroxetine for 10+ years but over the last year my OCD has got a lot worse with no obvious reason (plus GP checked my thyroid, B12 etc.) so seems like the drug is no longer working enough. I went to my GP who agreed to me upping it to 40mg over time but didn't make any difference. So I asked to try a different drug. He cross-tapered me onto Mirtazapine 15mg, plus Propranolol to help with OCD while the Mirtazapine was building up in my body (I'm not sure if it's helping). Coming off Paroxetine wasn't fun but I expected that, felt very anxious, had some nightmares and weird sweating/flu-like feelings. I took Mirtazapine at 15mg for two weeks during which I had some similar side effects to you, vivid nightmares (but they stopped after about the first week), feeling very hungry, feeling very irritable/teary which is not like me normally & some joint pain (but only for first week). I didn't' feel any better OCD-wise after 2 weeks so my GP upped the MIrtazapine to 30mg. I have now been on 30mg for about a week, still not feeling any calmer, but no more nightmares, less irritable, however still teary & very hungry! I read a paper online which studied the effect of Mirtazapine on several thousand people (mostly re depression, but it did refer to some patients with anxiety & depression) which suggested that most people (~85%) feel some improvement in the first two weeks when on 30mg or above, with about another 10% feeling some improvement within 6 weeks. I figure it's worth trying it for at least another couple of weeks, although the anxiety is awful. Please let me know how you're getting on now?

I would listen to yourself, appraise the benefits v negative side effects, ignore (dare I say) NICE guidelines and consult your prescriber to discuss your concerns.  Your welfare is paramount, not compliance to a guideline.  My personal belief (and it is just that) is that medication will not resolve or eradicate OCD.  If you're fortunate you may be prescribed a medication that does work for you somewhat........but it is a bit of a lottery, there isn't a specific prescription.

Be honest with yourself.  Appraise the positives & negatives, decide on which is in your better interest and discuss with your GP

No medication will stop OCD.....the effects of some may help.....the side-effects may also hinder.  Assess, be open-mi ded a d try and make a decision  roughly from there.  Good Luck :)