Hi, my 8 year old son is awaiting assessment from CAMHS. He's struggling with urges to touch things a certain amount of times, counting in his head and has had long term fears of going into rooms in the house on his own. He's begun hitting himself saying he wants to chop his brain out and hates himself. I'm seeing a psychologist myself for PTSD and also have another son with sensory issues. My husband is away a lot with work with a stressful job. He's struggling to cope but won't seek support himself. Is there anyone else out there with a young child with OCD? I need some advice! 

I just wanted to say Hi and welcome you to the charity’s forums Pebbles, I’m sorry you’re going through so much as a family at the moment. It sounds like you’re doing all you can to help your son and fingers crossed you won’t have to wait too long for the assessment with CAMHS to come through. Accessing support and treatment as soon as possible when signs of the disorder begin presenting themselves makes such a huge difference.

Reading what your son said about wanting to chop out his brain really sums up how many of us with OCD feel at times, but with the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) he’ll hopefully receive he’ll gently be guided and shown other ways to deal with the thoughts and urges around counting and tapping that don’t involve compulsions. Yolanda, one of the charity’s management committee also has a son diagnosed as a child and with her support and treatment he’s now free of the disorder, in fact I think from memory he actually gave a presentation at one of the charity’s conferences a few years ago. So OCD in children can definitely be overcome.

At the moment I can’t steer you towards a guide online the charity’s produced to help explain to children and young adults what OCD is, how it works and how it’s treated, but if you would like to get in touch with Ashley he would be happy to send you a paper copy, his email’s Ashley@ocduk.org  

I really think it would help your son to understand what he’s going through and hopefully also take away some of the frustration and negative feelings he’s having towards himself.

I hope that may help a bit, we’re always here to talk at anytime.