Help with Checking Habits

Hi there,

I'm looking for some self help advice. I'm struggling and getting really annoyed with myself with the amount of time i'm spending before leaving the house or going to bed checking that plugs, appliances, taps, gas hobs, oven etc are off and also that doors are locked. It's completely irrational and can be appliances that haven't even been on in days that i feel the need to check. I feel like it's that i don't trust myself to have checked properly and I'm wondering if anyone can please help me on how to tackle this/reduce the amount of times i feel the need to check these things? I get really anxious that there will be a fire which is the main drive of the need to check. 

Thank you very much in advance

I'm a checker too. Used to take me an hour to leave a very small apartment! I used the hierarchy technique to get my checking under control. so basically writing out al my checking rituals and then slowly cutting them out starting with the easiest and working up the hierarchy.

Have you been working at all with CBT techniques either with a therapist or a book? are you familiar with using a hierarchy?

I am also a checker. I've lost no end of sleep lying awake tusseling with my ocd over whether I checked the front door was locked or that the oven was off (when I know that I did...)

My first therapist gave me a tip to say something or make a silly noise after I'd checked something, as you may find it easier to remember doing that, than the actual checking. This didn't work for me unfortunately, but everyone's different, so worth a try maybe.

The ONLY thing that works for me is to ignore the thoughts completely. It's easier said than done and I must confess I sometimes do end up giving in and checking again, but when I have sat with the anxiety and ignored the urge to re-check, I find the anxiety does fade. 

Your therapist's advice was not good. Saying something or making a noise is another compulsion.

You can start by counting how many times you check. Then work on checking one less. Do that for 3 or 4 days and then reduce by another check. Keep on hoing until you don't check at all.

51 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

Your therapist's advice was not good. Saying something or making a noise is another compulsion.

I wondered that...

I didn't see her for long. I also had contamination ocd, particularly around raw chicken at that time, which led to my not buying any. She told me that was fair enough and proceeded to tell me that 1 in 3 chickens had salmonella :doh:

Thanks so much for all the replies! 

8 hours ago, leif said:

I'm a checker too. Used to take me an hour to leave a very small apartment! I used the hierarchy technique to get my checking under control. so basically writing out al my checking rituals and then slowly cutting them out starting with the easiest and working up the hierarchy.

Have you been working at all with CBT techniques either with a therapist or a book? are you familiar with using a hierarchy?

I’ve not used the hierarchy idea before but I will definitely give it a try. I’m working with a book and an online course at the moment! :)

18 hours ago, PinkLlama said:

I’ve not used the hierarchy idea before but I will definitely give it a try. I’m working with a book and an online course at the moment

That's great.

Let us know how it goes in your attempt to start cutting back on the compulsions!

Yes a checker will check things that have not been used for days. I had a fear of fire and flood and explosion.

One technique to stop checking is to delay checking. This does not work for leaving the property but works if you are remaining in the house. So you say, I will not check the front door for ten minutes. If you still have the urge to check you say I shall not check for further ten minutes. This remarkably simple strategy worked for me.

I had a time hierarchy in place in order to leave the house without checking. I would not check things when I was out for a brief period. The logic being that bad things could not happen in a short period. You slowly extend the period in which you are away without checking.

Good luck.

I just take a picture with my phone & look at that. I suppose it becomes another compulsion however you did ask how to cut back. It did work for me knowing that I have a picture in case I need it.  Also the process of taking a picture reminds me I don’t need to look again. Also, lights are on timers or app control on my phone so if a light is on the app let’s me know. 

It like I use today’s technology for OCD relief.