Omega 3 and any other vitamin supplements

Yes, and not a benefit OCD wise. But we are all different. 

Diet is helpful as part of REDS - relaxation exercise diet and sleep - a combination which helps us tackle our OCD - but the most important fundamental is CBT. Get your CBT going right, use the meds to help you engage with CBT, and that will set you on your way. 

Thanks Taurean I am still waiting for CBT and my OCD is terrible at the moment so I desperately looking for new ways to help overcome this before my CBT starts . I am feeling very alone and isolated with this disorder . I have just joined a gym so I can walk more on the treadmill as I have an damaged knee will try some swimming as well 

Edited by Skippy

Hi Skippy,

I've never taken Omega 3 but I do take supplements like vitamin D and iron (because I've always been low on both). They don't help with the OCD but they really do help keep up my immune system and energy, which contributes to my overall wellbeing. I think having the basics like your health and diet in a good place can really help battle OCD, even if it doesn't have a direct impact.

1 hour ago, malina said:

I've never taken Omega 3 but I do take supplements like vitamin D and iron (because I've always been low on both).

This is a very important point that you made Malina!

You should only ever take such supplements if you are deficient, and also check with your doctor that it is okay to do so if you are on any medication.

8 hours ago, felix4 said:

This is a very important point that you made Malina!

You should only ever take such supplements if you are deficient, and also check with your doctor that it is okay to do so if you are on any medication.

I was just thinking this too actually, I don't know how supplements could interfere with medications, but if you do take any it's always best to double check in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, malina said:

I was just thinking this too actually, I don't know how supplements could interfere with medications, but if you do take any it's always best to double check in my opinion. 

Yes always good to check with the doctor. Some vitamins/supplements can cause problems if you take too much and also yes, can have interactions with various medications. So good when your doctor knows all your medications and then can say if the supplement is ok.

I take a B complex, as well as C, sometimes D...and have used omega oils as well.

I find good diet, and vitamins very helpful. Anything that helps one cope with stress!

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 08:26, Skippy said:

Thanks Taurean I am still waiting for CBT and my OCD is terrible at the moment so I desperately looking for new ways to help overcome this before my CBT starts . I am feeling very alone and isolated with this disorder . I have just joined a gym so I can walk more on the treadmill as I have an damaged knee will try some swimming as well  

Really sorry to hear you are feeling so isolated and alone. This disorder can really get one down. That is great that you are going to the gym. Do you have any other social activities that can help lift your mood? Or are there any OCD or other mental health support groups in your area? I used to go to some that were just for general mental health stuff and found it so good to connect with others.

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 08:31, taurean said:

Have you tried some self-help CBT? A workbook is a great way to learn plus do the necessary homework

I agree workbooks are so helpful and can really give you a good start while waiting for a therapist!

There was some news that getting omega 3 in a pill is not as effective as getting it from food. You could eat lots of fish?

OCD is a brain thing so anything that makes your brain better is worth a try.  

On 22/05/2019 at 03:56, Handy said:

There was some news that getting omega 3 in a pill is not as effective as getting it from food. You could eat lots of fish?

OCD is a brain thing so anything that makes your brain better is worth a try.  

I am a Vegetarian and have been for 38 years our diet is generally known to be deficient in omega 3 and b12 

5 hours ago, Skippy said:

I am a Vegetarian and have been for 38 years our diet is generally known to be deficient in omega 3 and b12 

You could try it.  But if you've been doing it for 38 years & you're alive you must be ok. You could try it & see what happens. The brain is complex, so who knows what may happen.

Our limbic system is responsible for controlling various functions in the body & OCD.
Some of these functions include interpreting emotional responses, storing memories, and regulating hormones.

Primitive Amygdala: the almond-shaped mass of nuclei involved in emotional responses, hormonal secretions, and memory. The amygdala is responsible for fear conditioning or the associative learning process by which we learn to fear something.

Hippocampus: a tiny nub that acts as a memory indexer – sending memories out to the appropriate part of the cerebral hemisphere for long-term storage and retrieving them when necessary.

Hypothalamus: about the size of a pearl, this structure directs a multitude of important functions. It wakes you up in the morning and gets the adrenaline flowing. The hypothalamus is also an important emotional center, controlling the molecules that make you feel exhilarated, angry, or unhappy.

Cingulate Gyrus: a fold in the brain involved with sensory input concerning emotions and the regulation of aggressive behavior.

Fornix: an arching, band of white matter axons (nerve fibers) that connect the hippocampus to the hypothalamus.

From my notes: