Back to square one.

Went to the doctors today and he has agreed after roughly six weeks the Mirtazapine is not working and I’m going back to Paroxetine my original drug that he took me off due to the amount of time I’d been taking it. As regards the Mirtazapine it’s a great drug to take if you want to fight someone as I’ve never had so much pent up anger and frustration, awful vivid dreams, restlessness and stiff joints. I’m sure it suits some people but it hasn’t me and it’s done nothing for my OCD, it has improved my appetite though almost too much. I just hope I can get sorted over the next month as I just want some normality back.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I know right, medications have side-effects and they can really be bad. That is why I am advocating CBT, have you had it? I wouldn't rely too much on medication if I were you.

As you said on my thread you are awaiting CBT, why not meantime work some self-help CBT? 

A CBT for OCD workbook is a good way of doing this: you get the theory, then the exercises to work through to put it into practice. 

Check out the shop on the main OCD-UK website. 

IMO if Paroxetine was working for you and the side effects were minimal/not there, I think its unfortunate your doctor made you change.  Hopefully going back to the original meds will help you.  Though if your doctor is concerned about being on Paroxetine specifically I'm surprised you are not given a different SSRI rather than Mirtazipine which is a different kind of medication.  If, for some reason, you and your doctor would like to not continue with Paroxetine you should inquire about other SSRIs.

That said, I agree that CBT is also very very very important.  I hope you are able to be referred to a therapist soon, but in the meantime I second Taurean's suggestion about trying a self help book.  You can learn a lot from them and gain real benefit.  CBT is really about the work you do, the therapist is mostly a coach to teach you, and that can help a lot, but isn't strictly necessary.  Best of luck on your recovery and try not to let this temporary setback get you down too much.