Sensorimotor OCD

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm currently struggling with this type of OCD, I'm aware of my breathing, sometimes to the point of being to scared to talk. I had it a few years ago, but was able to overcome it by telling myself it was just a thought and just a fear, but I was also working at the time which helped. I was recently made redundant, so have too much time on my hands to obsess over this. I'm currently on the waiting list for therapy, but apparently will be waiting 5 to 6 months, and also just started taking Fluoxetine and I've avoided medication for years but really felt like I needed something to help. Has anyone had this and overcome it? 

Hi Jodes, welcome to the forum :)

Sorry that you are struggling at the minute but it seems like you've done everything you can up till now to make sure you overcome your problem :)

It is possible to overcome this just like any type of OCD with the key thing being to look at what is maintaining your problem. What behaviours are you doing to make you focus on your breathing? It may be various checks, like listening to your breathing, or asking or looking for reassurance, you also mention that you are scared to talk, so maybe you are avoiding things that affect your breathing. All OCD compulsions feel like they are protecting you in some way but in fact they are the real problem. Have you looked into self-help? I used the book Break free from OCD to start tackling my problems alone and there's no reason why you shouldn't do that while you wait for therapy :)

Because you've just started taking medication, keep in mind that it can take time to adjust, so if you start challenging your OCD, take your time and be kind to yourself. 

Also, take a look at these pages on the OCD-UK website for things to do while you wait, and also how to get the most from therapy when you get there. 

https://www.ocduk.org/overcoming-ocd/preparing-for-ocd-therapy/

https://www.ocduk.org/overcoming-ocd/getting-the-most-from-therapy/

Guest OCDhavenobrain

See it as an wonderful opportunity to overcome OCD. Your priority should probably to focus on just that because it can grow on you. Your compulsion is not unheard of. You can overcome this compulsion and every other compulsions you have. Are you aware of any more compulsions you do?

Hi Gemma, thank you so much for replying to me. I wasn't even aware that the being scared to talk thing was a compulsion. Also, I'm not sure what behaviours I am doing either, my anxiety just used to always centre around my breathing, so I'd have moments where I felt like I couldn't breathe and I'd concentrate on it until it felt better and then one day I just couldn't take my awareness away from it, so the fear started that I would be aware forever. This time though, I dont know how it came back, it just seems to have all come out of no where.

I'll look into that book you suggested, I'll take anything that can help right now lol.

Thank you !

Hey OCDhavenobrain! Thank you also, for replying.

If you're referring to the being scared to talk thing, as I said to Gemma I wasn't aware that was an compulsion, but if so then I guess my other compulsions are being scared to be too active, sometimes when I eat also. I just feel like it bringing on all these fears that are just normal things to do. Talking, excersise, eating .. It's very frustrating.

Hi Jodes :)

Just to clarify the compulsion in being scared to be active, is avoiding being active, it's labelled generally as avoidance. It's very common in all types of OCD. People avoid places, people, doing certain things, even thinking things leading to thought blocking. It's really easy to not realise they are compulsions because you get so used to not doing certain things it becomes a habit. Being intentionally aware of your breathing is a checking compulsion, designed to make sure of something I imagine. 

If you aren't active because of fear then you miss out on the chance to find out that when you are active nothing that you fear happens. Avoidance therefore continues the belief that it is necessary to avoid activity to stay safe. The fear keeps you inactive and so the belief and awful fear continues. That's what you learn in therapy with the support of your therapist. 

It's ok that you don't know what all your compulsions are yet, just take it one step at a time :)