Could have done it before...

You just have to ignore that jibe, same as we have to when they think we can just "push it out of our mind". 

Recovering from OCD can appear like the labours of Hercules because the illness is so powerful, so convincing, and it's so difficult to change ingrained learned behaviours. 

There is lots to help family members understand OCD on the main OCD-UK website, but I wonder how many might bother to read it. 

Edited by taurean

Tell them they are being utter ******* (to borrow one of my favorite UK slang words :D).  No one is born able to do everything they will ever be able to do.
David Beckham didn't just wake up one day as a star athlete, it was a process of hard work to get there.
Paul McCartney didn't just wake up one day able to play the guitar and write amazing music, it was a process of hard work to get there.
Unless they could all walk, talk, sing, dance, etc. from the second they were born, then they have no business making the claim that what you can do now was something you always could have done, life doesn't work that way.

Keep up the good work, keep making progress, and anyone who doesn't support you should, as the saying goes, take a long walk off a short pier.

I think you probably know what I would be saying to you :)  Dksea makes an excellent analogy.

It is all too common for family members and friends to throw out accusations...."Why couldn't you do better?", "Why don't you get over i?", "Why can't you do it for me?", "You don't try hard enough", "You've ruined my life" etc etc etc.  Oh that it were that easy.  Basically they have no true understanding of how powerful and incapacitating that it is.....and furthermore, haven't really taken any time to research OCD in any real sense.  There is enough information out there to help them gain that understanding.  They also lash out in sheer frustration at how much it impacts on their lives, that's understandable too.  It does affect more than just the sufferer.

We can learn to deal with the overwhelming fears that OCD creates but it does need us to make a decision to start that journey.  It needs us to set goals, even small goals but to commit gradually to achieving them.  Doing so with the help of a therapist and with CBT is by far the best option.....but we can still achieve goals by using self-help.

What you did yesterday is something you should be very proud of.  I felt proud for you.  Don't let someone else's frustration put a damper on that, they simply don't properly understand.  Don't let that stop you or knock you back.....wear that badge with pride and remember the achievement....it's something to build on.  I set you a challenge this week and all credit, you did it.  You have my respect for that........so let's keep on track, forgive other's short comings and keep moving forward.  Well Done You :thumbup: