Hey everyone, I hope u are all doing well or if not so good at the moment that ur  being kind to yourself and trying hard to kick OCD in the backside! I’ve not been on for quite a while, which is great actually because I am doing fab! I just wanted to post here to remind people that no matter how bleak it all looks now that recovery is absolutely possible and Ur life can be free from OCD if you put in the work! I am worlds away from how I was at my lowest with OCD, I’m positive and happy and no longer struggling with it all. The last hurdle was panic disorder that I ended up with even after the OCD subsided but I am almost there with them at one too, I do get anxious but am very much able to handle it now and don’t avoid things because of it and in fact I find myself wanting to do things that make me anxious so I can get rid of it all 100%!! At one stage I thought I was stuck forever, miserable and so anxious I could barely function so to everyone out there who’s at that point in their journey, keep on going, there’s light at the end of the tunnel! 

Hi Wonderer, 

great news to hear, Im really pleased for you, I feel  quite stuck at the moment, ERP therapy is very stressful but unfortunately it seems to be the answer. Facing your fears is not very nice but obviously necessary. Do you have any tips for me my OCD is based on contamination, had it off and on around thirty years plus now, more on than off. I’ve had therapy but it’s finished now, do you recommend any work books? To try.Thank you. Xx❤️?

2 hours ago, Madchoc said:

Hi Wonderer, 

great news to hear, Im really pleased for you, I feel  quite stuck at the moment, ERP therapy is very stressful but unfortunately it seems to be the answer. Facing your fears is not very nice but obviously necessary. Do you have any tips for me my OCD is based on contamination, had it off and on around thirty years plus now, more on than off. I’ve had therapy but it’s finished now, do you recommend any work books? To try.Thank you. Xx❤️?

Hey! Sorry ur struggling atm, it’s not nice ? I’m glad that u have had therapy though! Thing is, as u already know, our therapy is a guide and we need to implement it long after the sessions come to an end, I guess anything I’ll recommend u most probably already know to do because of therapy! I would definitely build a hierarchy of fears and start with the least distressing and work ur way up with ERP, i started with baby steps and worked my way up and it got less and less scary. One of the biggest things I thought that helped me, was to accept my anxiety and to remind myself that even though I felt like it, that I wasn’t going to die and although unpleasant that it wasn’t harmful and that it would go down, there were days that I didn’t face my anxiety because I was just too tired but I allowed myself to have off days without beating myself up and then got back on the saddle once I had a little break. I enjoyed rose bretechers book “pure” but it is all about intrusive thoughts but I’m sure u could still relate the struggle, it wasn’t a work book just a good read! I hope u feel better soon and good luck ❤️ Xx

1 hour ago, Wonderer said:

Thank u Roy! How are U doing? Hope all is well xx

Yep doing fine Wonderer, all thanks to help from the charity forums and my therapists. 

As you said, it's not just about learning what we ought to be doing - we have to put in the work to make that happen, and consistenly - only we can do that. 

6 hours ago, leif said:

@WondererThank you so much for posting your story of success. So wonderful and inspiring to read!!

Thank u so much Leif! I think it’s important to post positive things on the forum, I found the forum hugely helpful when I was ill but ultimately it’s putting into practice the advice we are given that leads to recovery! Hope ur doing well xx

It's vital that the bulletin boards get positive feedback that shows CBT methods discussed here work. 

It encourages others to make the thinking and behavioural changes necessary in order to succeed. 

So many give up too quickly because there is no instant success, no magic pill or potion - they just don't see that it's a gradual procession upwards, with occasional setbacks - and patience persistence and perseverance (Roy's "Three Graces") are the necessary companions on the road to recovery. 

10 hours ago, Wonderer said:

Thank u so much Leif! I think it’s important to post positive things on the forum, I found the forum hugely helpful when I was ill but ultimately it’s putting into practice the advice we are given that leads to recovery! Hope ur doing well xx

Hi Wonderer! Very true! I’m so glad you’re doing much better now. I’m stuck with social issues/paranoia with ASD and ocd. It’s a bit of a dip but I’m confident i’ll get past it at some point. The forums are great. X

On 28/05/2019 at 23:37, taurean said:

It's vital that the bulletin boards get positive feedback that shows CBT methods discussed here work. 

It encourages others to make the thinking and behavioural changes necessary in order to succeed. 

So many give up too quickly because there is no instant success, no magic pill or potion - they just don't see that it's a gradual procession upwards, with occasional setbacks - and patience persistence and perseverance (Roy's "Three Graces") are the necessary companions on the road to recovery. 

Absolutely Roy, I was up and down and every which way for a loooong time, how great would it be if it was just instant success lol. I’m also very aware that I may have setbacks at anytime but I know now that I WILL overcome them because I’ve done it before ❤️

On 29/05/2019 at 08:19, Orwell1984 said:

Hi Wonderer! Very true! I’m so glad you’re doing much better now. I’m stuck with social issues/paranoia with ASD and ocd. It’s a bit of a dip but I’m confident i’ll get past it at some point. The forums are great. X

Hey Orwell! Thank u! You have a fantastic attitude, of course u can get past them ??!  Yes, the forums are invaluable as long as we use them for advice rather than reassurance! Good luck ❤️ X