Hi everyone,

Lots going on in my life at the moment, but I have some upcoming concerts I hope to go to. Music is my life, and has been helping my overall mental health to fight against my OCD and trauma from abuse. 

I couldn't go out for many years for several reasons. I've worked hard on my recovery, and have been able to finally go to several concerts, which were indoor venues. However....the next few are all outdoors at huge stadiums. I'm already finding it tough having to return to a city where I was physically and mentally abused for years, but now I'm panicking that there could be bird poop on the seats somewhere! What would you do if that was the case? Obviously noone would want to sit on it! Bird poop carries diseases as well as it being plain gross. Would you complain and try to stand elsewhere. I don't want to miss these gigs, but I also can't risk jeopardising how far I've come with my OCD recovery, by pushing myself too much. I know when I'm able to face something yet or not. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hopefully you realize this is a made-up concern and not a real one. 

What do you think the thousands of other people are going to do? Chances are some of the seats will be pooped on. Birds poop. Fact of life.

Some won't even notice and will sit right down. Some might wipe some off, saying to heck with the rest and sit down. That's about it.

Probably too late, but stop Googling about bird poop and diseases. The rest of us don't care. Neither should you.

Go have fun!

I had a bird poop on my hand the other week. Yes it bothered me at first but I didn’t do anything about it until the anxiety subsided. Thereafter it slipped from my memory (until now!)

Ever wondered why millions of people, including us, feed and water birds and find sheer enjoyment in sharing their lives? 

Well exactly the latter. They enjoy observing them and the food and drink is a help and encouragement. 

Do we worry about their poo and pee. No siree. 

Can the poo be dangerous? Possibly, if you say so. But is that a risk we should be focusing right in on, exaggerating its potential? No. Obsessively thinking about so it affects daily life? No. 

Bird poo is a fact of life. And if you happen to be keen RSPB members like we are, then it's more a feature of life. 

On 25/05/2019 at 07:30, stoneroses_fan said:

I don't want to miss these gigs, but I also can't risk jeopardising how far I've come with my OCD recovery, by pushing myself too much. I know when I'm able to face something yet or not.

Its tough to balance where we want to be with where we are.  Its also good to be aware of where you are in your recovery.  I will say though, that in my experience, we can often handle more than we give ourselves credit for, and part of recovery is pushing past our comfort zone. Something to consider while you make the decision of what you can and can't handle.  And maybe you aren't quite ready for this particular event yet, thats ok too.  We can't do everything in life, and we sometimes have to choose, its not the end of the world!

On 25/05/2019 at 07:30, stoneroses_fan said:

What would you do if that was the case? Obviously noone would want to sit on it! Bird poop carries diseases as well as it being plain gross. Would you complain and try to stand elsewhere

Rather than just telling you, I want you to try and ask yourself, what do you think (and observe) MOST other people doing?  You could ask this question of a million people and you'd get a range of responses to the situation, from extreme avoidance to extreme indifference.  In general, for situations like this, the general behavior of the majority is a good gauge to go by.  So based on that, what do YOU think the reasonable level of reaction would be?

48 minutes ago, dksea said:

In general, for situations like this, the general behavior of the majority is a good gauge to go by.  So based on that, what do YOU think the reasonable level of reaction would be?

Absolutely. To add a slightly humorous touch, an old saying over here refers to that uniform human being as "the man on the Clapham omnibus" :laugh:

In OCD therapy I was told to consider what my "OCD twin" would do. 

My "OCD twin" would be someone very similar to me but who did not suffer from OCD. 

I agree with Dksea, this kind of approach is really helpful to uncover the OCD. 

Edited by taurean

A bird pooped right down the side of my face, neck and shoulder 2 weeks ago, I only had a tissue and no access to water or soap, I wiped what I could and after we all stopped laughing about it, didn’t give it a second thought. I’m still here and not sick. I actually wouldn’t care less if it happened again. Trust that the threat is totally exaggerated due to ur OCD and do ur best to ignore it! Well done u on managing to get to a point where ur able to go to concerts again, don’t let OCD take that away from you! X

Yes, you just clean it off. Btw, eggs come out of the same place the poo does on a chicken & people eat them every day & are just fine because they clean them off. Same with seats.