Help relationship falling apart

Hi I don't know the way to start this so just going to ramble it all out.

I have suffered with OCD for a number of years after serious mental bullying from my father when I was younger...I'm now in my later 40's.

All the bullying from my farther turned me in to a treble checker and worrier and ultimately led to my OCD and I realise that this suffering has now been playing a strain on my relationship with my lovely fiancée of 22 years and fear my constant worrying of money, doing things, taking risks and constant checking is the end of us...she has been brilliant but this last year has really took its toll.

I have tried some help before on the NHS but not had much joy and just don't know what to do.

Help!!

• Ashley changed the title to Help relationship falling apart

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum:)

The disorder can put a huge amount of pressure on relationships, I’m so sorry. Do you feel you might be able to get things back on track with your fiancé if you were able to make some headway beating it?

Sometimes with CBT it can be a case of trying another course (sometimes a couple) before something clicks and people begin making progress, would you consider going down the NHS route again, or would seeing someone privately be an option? There are also quite a few self-help books available and the community’s support and advice here will all help too.

I really hope you can both get through this, but it will mean working at cutting back and eventually stopping the compulsions you’re carrying out...but with time and the right support it can definitely be done.

Welcome again:)