Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it's usual for Sertraline side effects to wax and wane?

I had some awful side effects at the start which went away but have now come back (around 3 weeks in) has anyone else experienced this?

I have also started taking another medication (Pantoprazole, a PPI for acid reflux) so am also wondering if it's reacting with the Sertraline somehow?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Now you are obsessing.

Ssri and acid reflux meds have interactions, you have probably looked it up.

How is therapy going for you? Were you offered a therapist? 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

NOT TRUE! 

Handy, you need to stop dispensing bad advice about meds. You do not know what you are talking about.

1. You do not need to wait 12 weeks for meds yo be effective. It could take that long but can be much sooner.

2. Some people experience increased anxiety when first starting out on an SSRI. Generally it is a short lived situation.

3. Some people experience side effects from SSRIs.

Edited by PolarBear
6 hours ago, sufferer said:

I have also started taking another medication (Pantoprazole, a PPI for acid reflux) so am also wondering if it's reacting with the Sertraline somehow?

If you are concerned about possible prescription drug interactions you can ask your pharmacist.  However you should be careful this does not become a compulsion.  It would be fine to ask once, just to confirm, but understand that they have already likely checked (its their job) and you are probably safe.  

6 hours ago, sufferer said:

Just wondering if it's usual for Sertraline side effects to wax and wane?

I had some awful side effects at the start which went away but have now come back (around 3 weeks in) has anyone else experienced this?

Unfortunately side effects can vary quite a bit from person to person.  You may not hear from anyone on this forum (perhaps few active users use Sertraline vs other SSRIs, few who do had significant side effects, etc.) but that doesn't mean you should worry.  You can keep track of your side effects and see how they progress over time.  Each persons adjustment period for the new meds varies so try and be patient as best you can.  if the side effects are greatly concerning to you or having significant impact its reasonable to contact your doctor, but understand that they may ask you to try and wait it out to the best of your ability.  Hang in there, I know this is tough, but hopefully it will help you in the long term to be better able to tackle OCD recovery.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

It is sad when pure misinformation have to be spread because well I dont know of why. 

And it is not like it is a mistake

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

I think dksea’s advice is sound. I am fortunate in that my GP practice has a pharmacist who provides advice. On each doctor’s desk there is a book which provides prescription information along with the interactive effects of medications.

Edited by Angst

15 hours ago, PolarBear said:

NOT TRUE! 

Handy, you need to stop dispensing bad advice about meds. You do not know what you are talking about.

1. You do not need to wait 12 weeks for meds yo be effective. It could take that long but can be much sooner.

2. Some people experience increased anxiety when first starting out on an SSRI. Generally it is a short lived situation.

3. Some people experience side effects from SSRIs.

Its what people wrote on this forum..  So you're saying the forum information is  bad advice?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Just stop talking about meds because honestly you have wrong too often.

Who cares what someone wrote if it is false?

I know why

Reply to Mr Handy

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
19 hours ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

Now you are obsessing.

Ssri and acid reflux meds have interactions, you have probably looked it up.

How is therapy going for you? Were you offered a therapist? 

I'm not obsessing (which makes a change :headslap:) I was just curious as until I started taking the other meds at the same time, the side effects had gone away. I haven't googled, purposely. I'll keep taking them, regardless, as I do feel better on them, I just found it odd.

Still waiting for an appt for counselling, hopeful that I'll hear something soon.

15 hours ago, dksea said:

If you are concerned about possible prescription drug interactions you can ask your pharmacist.  However you should be careful this does not become a compulsion.  It would be fine to ask once, just to confirm, but understand that they have already likely checked (its their job)

I did ask the DR at the time of prescribing and he said they were fine to take together, it's just odd that I was fine until I started taking the other tablets.

16 hours ago, dksea said:

Unfortunately side effects can vary quite a bit from person to person.  You may not hear from anyone on this forum (perhaps few active users use Sertraline vs other SSRIs, few who do had significant side effects, etc.) but that doesn't mean you should worry.  You can keep track of your side effects and see how they progress over time.  Each persons adjustment period for the new meds varies so try and be patient as best you can.  if the side effects are greatly concerning to you or having significant impact its reasonable to contact your doctor, but understand that they may ask you to try and wait it out to the best of your ability.  

I will stick with them, as I am noticing a difference already, I was just disappointed that the side effects I thought I'd got rid of have come back again.

Thanks for your advice Dksea.

5 hours ago, Angst said:

I think dksea’s advice is sound. I am fortunate in that my GP practice has a pharmacist who provides advice. On each doctor’s desk there is a book which provides prescription information along with the interactive effects of medications.

I did ask the DR and he said it was fine, but it's odd that the side effects have flared up again. Hopefully they'll disappear again soon.

8 hours ago, sufferer said:

I did ask the DR at the time of prescribing and he said they were fine to take together, it's just odd that I was fine until I started taking the other tablets.

Reasonable to wonder, but its probably just a coincidence.  I once worried I was becoming allergic to seafood because of the timing of some stomach troubles I was having.  Turned out to be completely unrelated.  Unfortunately life is complicated and its often hard to identify just once source of things when we have so many things changing all around us all the time :)