Are You Fishing For An Answer?

What goes on within an episode of OCD is horrible and long-running issues are debilitating and demoralising. 

It doesn't have to be so, because it is possible to establish a mix of therapy and additions that make us so very much better. 

Fish no more. Let's take out of the treatment "tackle bag" some of these elements and put them in practice. 

Learn the basics of how OCD works and how to use cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to tackle it - loads of help here and on the main OCD-UK website. 

Tackle those compulsions, wean yourself off them, stop obeying the "rules" of OCD. 

Keep busy and beneficially distracted. 

Learn and utilise relaxation skills like meditation and how to use mindfulness to switch focus to thinking in the present in the moment, instead of obsessing and carrying out compulsions. 

If waiting for CBT therapy, meantime work through self-help CBT - personally I favour a CBT for OCD workbook. 

If you have a significant other, bring them aboard to understand what is happening with you (guidance on this on the main OCD-UK website). Enlist their help and encouragement. 

Believe in what you learn, not what OCD tells you. It fabricates untruths, exaggerates nil or minimum threat, and elicits revulsive responses that don't bother others. 

Stop fishing for help and start landing it as above :)

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Listen to this everybody. There are no answers. Do not go out fishing.

OCD is a mental wetland, the more you struggle the deeper you sink. Understand this fact and also fathom it or you will just keep struggling. Because it is a fact.

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
46 minutes ago, bruces said:

I can relate I’ve been searching for answers my whole life and at newly 44 I still haven’t found any! 

Then definitely it's time to stop that search and apply the answer as above. 

If more people did this, then more will get better. It's what they need to commit to. 

Hi

I initially read the title as a slightly different, but also helpful point: try not to seek (reassurance) answers from other people. Although, I’m all to aware how difficult that can be. 

Neil