Is this a sign its not pocd when children appear on the tv

Think ive asked this before on here but ive been working at it for a very long time now and it isnt getting any better.I was told not to change the channel if children appear on the tv so thats what ive stuck at.What my problem is is when other people are in the same room what i do is stare at the tv as soon as a child appears and it sure doesnt look good for me.It happened again yesterday i got very confused as to if i really have ocd or im a paedo i got scared i panicked and had to stay in another room until the film was finished.Then i come back in the room and theres a young student on the other channel playing a game i had to leave the room again i had mixed feelings too very scared and confused by it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pedophiles are not going to get anxious and scared if a child shows up on TV. Think about that. What is happening to you is abnormal if you were a pedophile.

The staring you are doing, believe it or not, is a compulsion. Happened to me a lot. You do it because children often trigger intrusive thoughts. You stare, just waiting for an intrusive thought to appear. Or you stare, trying to stop such thoughts from appearing.

All perfectly normal in an OCD world.

Now you need to work on the staring. Try to be a little more natural.

Leaving the room was a compulsion. It sent up a big red flag in your mind that children on TV is a bad thing. Next time stay in rhe room, glancing at the TV while engaging with others.

Hi

Yeah it was the kinda movie i wouldnt watch it was just what my mother was watching and there were teenagers i was starring like what usualy happens while others are around.I was confused its not ocd im saying to myself this must be an attraction because why am i starring.Yeah thats what i do usualy on my own i say dont change channels get more used to it like i was told to do on here.Yeah children do trigger them intrusive thoughts and my ocd is a lot worse ive started a new antidepressant.

So its a compulsion well i hope so

Its just a lot harder at the moment maybe its the antidepressant 

Its always been a big problem of mine it looks too suspicious im just starring at the tv say im talking to someone i would have to stare at the tv thats what its like.Im drawn towards the tv. 

Thanks

Edited by Charlie ocd

I'm not sure what either are. I think you are mislabelling these situations as attractions when they are not. You fixate on a kid on TV. You freak out. You get scared and your anxiety rises. Does that sound like you are attracted?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I will take another approach and let yourself look at the children and let the thoug hts be there, maybe, who knows? Maybe we all are attracted to them, I don't think many people are, mostly pedophiles, but you never know. Why would you act on a thought? I mean you don't know that neither, but then you don't know if an asteroid will hit you and kill you or maybe it will first hit you and then change direction and hit someone else. 

We never know for sure but if you have OCD and think something, thinks that there is a certain probability that you need to leave it alone as fast as possible, because probabilities and OCD don't go together AT ALL. 

See a doctor get a diagnosis.  

This notion that people can choose how their body feels attraction is just not so. I can’t look at a tree & say I’m going to be attracted to trees & my body must respond accordingly.  Therefore there are people who’s body responds to children & they don’t want this. This is tormented. 

12 hours ago, PolarBear said:

I'm not sure what either are. I think you are mislabelling these situations as attractions when they are not. You fixate on a kid on TV. You freak out. You get scared and your anxiety rises. Does that sound like you are attracted?

It usualy happens when someone else is in the same room i was confused to weather i have ocd or not and if it was an attraction because why am i starring.Well i hope its a compulsion its just my feelings were mixed up too.What im like on my own is like you mentioned earlier i stare to get used to it so i dont get the thoughts so often.

There is no such thing as “pocd” just OCD. OCD can be about anything, but whatever it’s about OCD is always lying to you. That is the number one thing you need to remember. 

Edited by dksea

ok dksea cheers yeah ocd can be about anything i dont get out now but once i went to my brothers.We was outside his place drinking then everyone went inside i couldnt sit in front of the tv in fear that others would see how i react to children on the tv.So i stayed in the kitchen my brother came out with others and i got a look off him i didnt like.He knows how i react so thinks the worst and i was watching the tv and there was a child on the tv at the time i didnt feel right and my uncle was there.He was looking at me funny too.

On 05/06/2019 at 17:44, PolarBear said:

Pedophiles are not going to get anxious and scared if a child shows up on TV. Think about that. What is happening to you is abnormal if you were a pedophile.

The staring you are doing, believe it or not, is a compulsion. Happened to me a lot. You do it because children often trigger intrusive thoughts. You stare, just waiting for an intrusive thought to appear. Or you stare, trying to stop such thoughts from appearing.

All perfectly normal in an OCD world.

Now you need to work on the staring. Try to be a little more natural.

Leaving the room was a compulsion. It sent up a big red flag in your mind that children on TV is a bad thing. Next time stay in rhe room, glancing at the TV while engaging with others.

I think PolarBeat is right. Starring or gaze direction and length of gaze direction is significant in the social world.

Just stand in the street and gaze at an object if there are other people near by many, not all, will look in the same direction.

But if you are viewing a tv screen how can other people track your gaze? They cannot.

Now tracking gaze and gaze duration is used in psychological experiments and sociological studies of social interaction. But sophisticated setups and equipment is needed.

Are you saying that you stare or gaze direction is longer when watching certain tv shows than others?

Or your facial expression or eye expression is different when observing children. People do read facial expression and eye expression. See for example the work of Cohen Baron.

But I doubt it occurs when viewing tv. It would imply that people are focusing on you to an unusual extent. I think you would note the people staring or gazing at you more than your feelings when observing a screen.

As I have said before, you need to opt for the therapy that has been offered. 

Edited by Angst

Yes my facial expression and eye expression is different when children are on the tv and yes the stare is longer its like im glued to the tv.

Since going through what i went through i had the home treatment team coming everyday and i had to explain i had intrusive thoughts about children to each different person they sent.Ive noticed people outside on the fire escape stairs right next to my living room that have probably been listening.So cbt at home prob is a bad idea how can i talk about the thoughts that i have and i havent left the building for a very long time now.Because of what im hearing from outside the building and because im really freaked out and paranoid when im out it must be because of what im hearing.

thanks and polar bear yeah thats true

It’s a pity that a regular person could not visit you. It must be tiresome to start from scratch each time somebody visits you.

I doubt if people can hear through a concrete wall and whether people will seek to stand on the fire escape landing on the off chance of hearing something about you. I very much doubt if you are the centre of attention.

A home visit by a qualified therapist does sound the best idea. You could even reality test your belief about whether people could hear through the wall by you playing talk radio at normal level in your room and going outside to see whether it can be heard.

When my checking was at its worse I used to intensely stare at an object such as a tap  for a long time to make sure it was off. So I understand the experience of staring in the context of OCD. There is a nice bit in the book Overcoming OCD about it.

It was very tiresome explaining the same thing to different people they sent after all there called a team so they must know already.In the end i just said i dont want to talk about it.

The walls are not concrete i starting looking out my spyhole to see if the fire escape light was on at the time the home treatment team came and it was.Yes i must test it by leaving the radio or tv on and going out there.When i was going through it i had police visit me a few times once when the crisis line said i had blades and the second time when i called them saying i wanted to take my life.Then they searched my place when i was in hospital.

The crisis people probably took seriously the idea that you might commit suicide. It does occur that the police might be involved with mental health workers if they need  to gain access to a property.

I think it would be unlikely that the police would search your flat while you were in hospital. Is there any evidence for this? In general they would need a search warrant without this any evidence found would probably be deemed inadmissible. I assume that you believe that the police searched your place for something illegal. Is this right?

You still seem to be against home therapy. In the past you mentioned that you needed the right medication to be psychologically prepared now you mention about your neighbours hearing your conversations. I think reality testing should be a joint venture with the therapist. It would be a good starting point and you can discuss what conclusions you both arrive at. So I would say, give it a go.

Edited by Angst

Charlie this is very sneaky! Coming here using a different name to get answers to questions you've asked over and over again! It's not going to help you and in your heart you know it. I'm not saying this to be mean.

I called the crisis number feeling suicidle mentioning i have blades i meant stanely blades but they sent police with shields because they thought i had knifes.

a patient in the hospital said a member of staff said i had indecent images in my flat so i reported it to the police saying they must of put it there.It scared the life out of me then my mother told me how all my things were all over the place so she called the police and they did tell her that they did search my flat.

I was thinking i could do cbt at home but since noticing more people out on the fire escape stairs im thinking thats not such a good idea.Because they would want to know the type of thoughts im having.Yeah i do beleave the neighbors are listening now and im waiting on another antidepressant to help because i feel i need that help.

3 hours ago, PhilM said:

Charlie this is very sneaky! Coming here using a different name to get answers to questions you've asked over and over again! It's not going to help you and in your heart you know it. I'm not saying this to be mean.

I told you phil that i changed my name because of the hospital staff and what do you mean by its not going to help me.

Edited by Charlie ocd
Guest OCDhavenobrain
22 minutes ago, Charlie ocd said:

I told you phil that i changed my name because of the hospital staff and what do you mean by its not going to help me.

It is not going to help you. I think you know what he means, answering the same thing over and over is reassuranceseeking. 

8 minutes ago, Charlie ocd said:

I called the crisis number feeling suicidle mentioning i have blades i meant stanely blades but they sent police with shields because they thought i had knifes.

a patient in the hospital said a member of staff said i had indecent images in my flat so i reported it to the police saying they must of put it there.It scared the life out of me then my mother told me how all my things were all over the place so she called the police and they did tell her that they did search my flat.

I was thinking i could do cbt at home but since noticing more people out on the fire escape stairs im thinking thats not such a good idea.Because they would want to know the type of thoughts im having.Yeah i do beleave the neighbors are listening now and im waiting on another antidepressant to help because i feel i need that help.

Hi  You have answered my question. About the Stanley knife confusion. And the evidence of your mother with regard to your mother calling the police about the mess and their reply to her.

Things happen. Set procedures are broken. Sometimes communication is unclear. Life has taught me that. I think lawyers will also testify to that.

I think it is matter of trust with regard to the therapist.

6 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

It is not going to help you. I think you know what he means, answering the same thing over and over is reassuranceseeking. 

You have provided new information.

4 hours ago, PhilM said:

This is an accusation. So Charlie you either accept it or dispute it.

29 minutes ago, Charlie ocd said:

You dispute it by saying - you have provided a previous explanation.

I remember when you changed your user name you contacted Ashley on openly on the forum  with a request and a reason.

Edited by Angst
10 minutes ago, OCDhavenobrain said:

I didnt see it that way i did say to begin with ive asked this before its just that ive been working on it for a long time now but still its very very hard.Now i know its a compulsion well i hope so.