How Can We Truly Get Better?

We can look at the stories, and resultant learned knowledge, of those who have made changes and improved. 

Recently regular posters myself, PolarBear, dksea and others have been telling our stories on other threads, and we use what we have learned to advise and guide others, based on those experiences. 

How I wish I knew what I knew now many years ago. Much suffering and life challenges would have been saved. 

Those of you now coming to the forums don't need to suffer as we did. We stay active here so that you don't need to do so. Here is a resource with the information you need to get motivated and started - and on the main OCD-UK website there is loads more helpful material. 

Reading other people's success stories, following guidelines given is immensely valuable - and free to air. 

Please grasp the opportunity with both hands. I wish I could have done. 

Some very wise words Roy!

I was reading a discussion where you three were discussing about accepting uncertainty. Something I’d seen hundreds of times before, but something about it clicked and I’ve been accepting the uncertainty of things the last few days and finding it to be a great way to challenge my OCD.

Thank you all for sharing your stories!

Thanks Greentop. 

This is what we want to hear :)

It's about getting the message over that understanding the illness, and how to go about challenging it, isn't as difficult as people think it is. 

But then getting them to make the necessary thinking and behavioural changes is the difficult bit, as many are consumed in thinking that has taken root over years of struggling. 

It's about believing the professional and learned others, NOT what our brains - under the influence of the OCD - are telling us. 

There's a new life out there for those that do, and commit to making it happen. 

8 hours ago, taurean said:

We can look at the stories, and resultant learned knowledge, of those who have made changes and improved. 

Recently regular posters myself, PolarBear, dksea and others have been telling our stories on other threads, and we use what we have learned to advise and guide others, based on those experiences. 

How I wish I knew what I knew now many years ago. Much suffering and life challenges would have been saved. 

Those of you now coming to the forums don't need to suffer as we did. We stay active here so that you don't need to do so. Here is a resource with the information you need to get motivated and started - and on the main OCD-UK website there is loads more helpful material. 

Reading other people's success stories, following guidelines given is immensely valuable - and free to air. 

Please grasp the opportunity with both hands. I wish I could have done. 

Me too pal,I grieve for my life. 

The definition of grief is to experience great sorrow. I have experienced grief for loved ones. Never applied it to my own life story which psychiatrists and therapists have called difficult. Should I apply it to myself?

I measure OCD by a standard questionnaire. OCD behaviour is on a continuum. OCD is defined as a functional impairment to normal living. So with this proviso, for some years. I do not understand the concept of a full recovery. OCD is a concept, a diagnostic concept, and should not be reified.

26 minutes ago, Angst said:

The definition of grief is to experience great sorrow. I have experienced grief for loved ones. Never applied it to my own life story which psychiatrists and therapists have called difficult. Should I apply it to myself?

No. 

I lost time to OCD, but learned in therapy to forget the time lost in OCD, and work my CBT in order to have a better future. 

It was good advice. 

OCD is based on anxiety. But anxiety is necessary for survival. So goal is to try to get anxiety to a more normal level rather than 0. 

On medication people don’t feel the anxiety & if one can’t feel it then they can’t resolve it. 

A normal anxiety response to a real threat is a necessary warning to us to take action. 

When our anxiety response is created by an OCD negative core belief, sending out triggers suggesting fear or threat, we need to learn to understand why this is and how to change our thinking and behavioural response. When we work through CBT to do this, this unwanted unneeded anxiety response will gradually ease away.