I realise it’s not rational but when my husband gets my little dogs poo up and it’s really wet because of the weather I am so anxious and frightened. I usually go to bed before him, and I’m so worried that the poo could touch his top, and then it could go on the bed or pillow if he comes in by the bed before he’s taken his clothes off. I am so anxious writing this my heart is racing. What can I do??????? I’m so sorry, to post this, but didn’t know what else to do. Xx

I am so anxious and worried about it, my ocd is vile at the moment, I know it’s Erp that works, so why am I so scared, thankyou for your reply,  Taurean, I wouldn’t think this way if I didn’t have OCD. Sorry xx

Edited by Madchoc
Added more

Think of it this way - your partner is cleaning up the dog poo and yet no harm comes to him from doing this. So why would it harm you? Maybe this could be your goal for today. What do you usually do when he has cleaned the dog poo? Can you identify any compulsions here?

Hi I just absolutely dread it, I’ve tried to cope but do really really bad, I shake and cry and fear going near to my husband and I feel so so guilty and ashamed especially for my age. Sorry to be negative. Xx

1 hour ago, Madchoc said:

Hi I just absolutely dread it, I’ve tried to cope but do really really bad, I shake and cry and fear going near to my husband and I feel so so guilty and ashamed especially for my age. Sorry to be negative. Xx

I think that maybe you're struggling because you don't really have any structure in how you respond. Like when you say you try to cope, what does that really mean?

Guest OCDhavenobrain

I have to agree here, coping is not really an option if you want to overcome it. Coping is just depending on it coming in waves, which sure it tends to come in waves but often it just gets worse and worse if you let it

Hi I’m not having therapy now, and I miss the support, I find it hard to help myself I feel I’ve let my family down so much. I need to be confident and believe in myself. Just a bad time at the moment. Sorry xxx

Guest OCDhavenobrain

But you felt like you learned something when it comes to OCD? Could you maybe apply some of the knowledge?

Madchoc, you don't need to apologise for anything. We are all just trying to help you out here, but the way to do that is to tell you that you have to change what you're doing xx

Try looking at the underlying reason that you don't cope when it's wet but you do when it's dry. 

In other words, when it's raining and he is doing that, why do you feel so bad? 

Uncovering this OCD core belief will greatly help. 

2 hours ago, Madchoc said:

Hi Taurean,,

when things are wet it almost feels like things are sticky, so things have more chance of going on my husbands top, silly I know. Xx

Does this happen to anyone else where wet makes things appear to be sticky like, or is it just me. Thank you xx❤️

On 08/06/2019 at 16:35, Madchoc said:

I realise it’s not rational 

23 hours ago, Madchoc said:

Hi Taurean,,

when things are wet it almost feels like things are sticky, so things have more chance of going on my husbands top, silly I know. Xx

Irrational, silly - common elements of OCD. 

With contamination risks, it focuses in on nil or minimum threat. 

And it demands certainty (that it is not OCD so the threat may be real).

To OCD, a 0.001 % chance is a likelihood. 

But looked at in a detached way we can try to see this as the non-sufferer sees it - as worthless nonsense. 

And this really is a great way to challenge OCD. If learned others, with their own experiences of OCD, can see this as worthless nonsense, as can non-sufferers, then that is the aim of the sufferer. 

We learn that we don't have to have certainty - that probability, combined with realising how irrational and silly what OCD says is - will gradually, as we work at it, win the day.