Tics and TBE

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Hello, hope you are doing well. 

I have a question, I was out in the woods Saturday and yesterday, actually because of anxiety.. I was reckless and somehow I managed to attract tics, which I can't remember I had ever had. However, 2 bites yesterday, one on stomach and one on my leg. I will not lie I have been googling since. 

The twist in the story is that I went and vaccinated myself last Monday but one dose is never enough, it takes at least 2 doses to get protection, I have researched this so much but no matter how much I google I doesn't seem to find a clear answer about if there is protection after 1 dose. 

What would you do after getting stuck 2 times? I will clean my room and wash today because I am also getting paranoid, they are so small and I have no idea how many I managed to drag home. So what would a normal educated person do? With educated, I mean someone who actually is aware. Btw everybody goes and get vaccinated against TBE, you don't want to get TBE, horrendous condition.

Thanks and take care!

Edited by OCDhavenobrain

Hey,

this may sound like a silly question but how did you manage to remove the tics? If they are still inside your skin, you may just want to go to a doctor to get them removed properly and they can address your concern regarding TBE. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain
19 minutes ago, malina said:

Hey,

this may sound like a silly question but how did you manage to remove the tics? If they are still inside your skin, you may just want to go to a doctor to get them removed properly and they can address your concern regarding TBE. 

It's a good point you have. I am considering going to the doctor and get antibiotics to prevent Borrelia* . The first one I got out in good shape I am sure because he crawled here. The other one I am not so sure of because it was night and I was tired. It is actually a good point and I think I will have to go tomorrow because there is a mark around the second one. 

HOWEVER I will need to convince them that I actually need to come and get checked. Getting pretty tired of doctors in general but having went to them because of minor things have made them taking my problems less seriously. 

All of this is not my main concern however, I am dreadful of the possibility of getting TBE, it is a horrendous virus, which can give life-long cognitive impairments, it can also make you unable to move. 

Good point about the doctor, thanks

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Sooo I find this incredible scary, knowing that if I get sick well... 7 -14 days they say so let's see what happens. Today have been a long googlesearch also sleept 3 hours tonight. Now I realized that life goes on outside and this is not making me less stressed in life because you waste away your time. 

Thanks for all the help you get on the forum here or in PM. I will try to push upwards from here but it will remain scary and that's because there is a threat, maybe a small but a threat.

Sorry to hear you are having a rough time. I know it's especially hard when there is something that could be a concern. I think it's wise to go to the doctor as Malina suggested, see what they say, follow their advice.

I'd never heard of TBE. I'm not in Europe but spent a lot of time there a while back, and came back with ticks almost every walk i went on! I never knew about any of the dangers of ticks back then so was never concerned. The bliss of ignorance!

I hope you can get some sleep, and distract yourself with daily living. Like you say, the likelihood of getting this is probably small, so try to move along as best you can!

Wishing you well--you're always such a good support on this forum so it's nice when you can get some support back :) 

Also stop googling--just go to the doctor and leave it at that. Googling will just add to your stress!

Edited by leif

Hey @OCDhavenobrain, I think it's reasonable to be concerned and take precautions, but the likelihood is that nothing will happen at all. I went to a country last year where there is high risk of malaria and I was there during the rainy season when the risk is at its greatest. I took medication and slept with a net, but still got lots of mosquito bites and my anxiety was through the roof. But I just had to force myself to be rational and to believe that, while there was a risk, it was just a risk and not a certainty that something would happen. Being bitten by a tick may increase your risk of TBE, but it doesn't mean that you are certain to get it. It is this uncertainty that the OCD is latching on to, you have to just let it go and accept that a possibility is there but it is not necessarily the case. Besides, you are going to see a doctor for the antibiotics, so you know that you are doing what you can. 

Guest OCDhavenobrain

Thank you both for your support and kind words. Yes the uncertainty and the nightmarish scenarios which can happen frightens me like crazy. But if I do start to feel bad and it turns out to be TBE then I have to deal with it I guess. I can't worry like today for 2-4 weeks.