Debilitating Anxiety

Hi all, 

I am new to this form, so glad I have found it as its just fantastic. 

I am wondering how you just be with debilitating anxiety. Its the hardest part, I feel that I'll get so anxious I will just stop functioning and end up being commuted. 

I have started taking meds recently and I know this is elevating the anxiety, and I go back to see my therapist tomorrow afternoon. 

I know I am looking for reassurance and it probably won't be given, but wanted to post anyway ?

Asking what you are asking is not reassurance seeking. Now if you asked twenty times...

It is quite common for anxiety to rise, in the short term, when starting out on an SSRI. Thst usually dissipates within a couple of weeks.

In the mean time, take care of yourself. Curb alcohol and caffeine. Read a good book. Watch funny movies. Tub soak!

44 minutes ago, Handy said:

Anxiety is a form of energy so you can exercise it off. Also why do you have so much anxiety? Is it stress, hormones?

OCD rearing it's ugly head ?

Hi Deb & :welcome:

2 hours ago, Deb79 said:

I am wondering how you just be with debilitating anxiety. Its the hardest part, I feel that I'll get so anxious I will just stop functioning and end up being commuted.

Might it be that you are anxious about being anxious? If so, certainly discuss it with your therapist, because given help & time, it is reversible.

1 hour ago, seekingERPnorthwest said:

Not sure medium to long term, but short term, finding a distraction helps me. 1 hour of Sarah Millican did me a lot of good.

I agree, 1 hour of Sarah Millican did me a lot of good too the other night! I am still having periods of laughter where I remember bits of her material from the other night. :lol:  

Hi Felix 4, 

Yes I am definitely feeling anxious about feeling anxious! Stuck on the never ending loop at the moment. 

When I'm not feeling anxious about that, I feel anxious about being driven to Suicide, if I'm not worry about that I'm worrying about hurting my sons, if I'm not worrying about that...the list goes on, and on, and on and on! ??

39 minutes ago, Deb79 said:

Hi Felix 4, 

Yes I am definitely feeling anxious about feeling anxious! Stuck on the never ending loop at the moment. 

It is a nightmare isn't it!

Like I said, it is reversible, but definitely raise it with your therapist, & good luck with the appointment! :)  

2 hours ago, Handy said:

Anxiety is a form of energy

Nope.

2 hours ago, Handy said:

so you can exercise it off.

Nope.

2 hours ago, Handy said:

Also why do you have so much anxiety? Is it stress, hormones?

Or maybe its OCD, you know the anxiety disorder that most of us here are dealing with? 

2 minutes ago, dksea said:

Or maybe its OCD, you know the anxiety disorder that most of us here are dealing with? 

It's definitely OCD. The fun doubting game ??

Hi Deb 

Just wanted to let you know your not alone .. I have a 10 week old baby and my anxiety is soooo severe ATM just started on paraoxtine too which probably isn't helping. I have been given diazapram but haven't taken any yet. I also struggle to sleep waking up panciking I worry I'll be  sectioned or need go into a hospital with how I feel also if im not worried about this I worry I'll hurt my son who's 10 weeks . I have a 5 year old too. 

Just want you to know your not alone .. althoufht I feel it ATM xx 

12 hours ago, Deb79 said:

It's definitely OCD. The fun doubting game ??

I don't think you're getting my point. There are lots of things that can cause high anxiety. Why not get your blood tested & see if your blood hormones are ok? My anxiety was   high & I did get the tests & found the cause & it was not OCD.

It is well known, that anxiety is energy, its a form of nervous energy & exercise uses energy, simple idea.  Easy.

A lot of people on the forum have settled. They don't want to look at any new ideas or solutions. They have settled on the same answers, I believe  because it gives them certainty. They are so afraid of uncertainty they can't see any other solutions or explanations. But there are great new ideas out there.

Guest OCDhavenobrain

How much can you troll before well who cares. :( Why do you write here then? Now member too, really bad just letting trolling go by, there is no real use of it.

Threadmaker listen to all the advices beside the last one. 

Edited by OCDhavenobrain
5 hours ago, Handy said:

I don't think you're getting my point. There are lots of things that can cause high anxiety. Why not get your blood tested & see if your blood hormones are ok? My anxiety was   high & I did get the tests & found the cause & it was not OCD.

It is well known, that anxiety is energy, its a form of nervous energy & exercise uses energy, simple idea.  Easy.

A lot of people on the forum have settled. They don't want to look at any new ideas or solutions. They have settled on the same answers, I believe  because it gives them certainty. They are so afraid of uncertainty they can't see any other solutions or explanations. But there are great new ideas out there.

Thanks Handy.

I have had all the blood test done, nothing shows up. 

I have also had an official diagnosis, this isn't something new to me. 

Thanks for the info though ?

6 hours ago, Handy said:

One thing that is certain, is this off-kilter rubbish. And no sense of location, this happens to be an OCD forum.  

Edited by paradoxer
12 hours ago, Handy said:

Why not accept that the poster has stated that she has been diagnosed with OCD, and its perfectly rational for her to be treating it as OCD.  No OCD is not the ONLY source of anxiety, but it is ONE of them, and its perfectly rational to go with that diagnosis.  If you don't have OCD, why are you posting on an OCD forum?  What purpose are you trying to serve.

This is utter bull****.  Complete pseudo-science.  Anxiety is not "energy".  Take that garbage out of here, you are harming people with it.

More bull****.  If you knew even a LITTLE something about OCD you'd know that sufferers explore tons of options, getting OCD sufferers to accept OCD and the PROVEN TREATMENTS is anything but easy.  Sufferers will grasp, desperately, at other alternatives, alternatives that offer quick fixes like the garbage you are peddling, all the while continuing to suffer.  The reason they come to accept OCD and to utilize CBT is because its backed up by evidence.  Its been demonstrated to be the most effective known treatment for OCD.  And yes, there are researchers and clinicians out there pursuing other treatment paths, and if they find one someday, that will be great, we all would welcome something that offers quicker/more effective relief to OCD.  None of us are "settling" for anything.  But until those methods can be proven to work with evidence and science, they remain only future possibilities.  Show me the evidence to back up some of these "great new ideas" and I'll happily listen.  But simply repeating the same baseless, ridiculous claims like "just exercise" is a horrible thing to do, you are lying to people and you should be ashamed.

Thank you for saying it, Handy isn't just a benign idiot, a lot of what he says, I think, can actually harm people. On various threads, it's much of the same, a bit of misinformation here, a bit there, a bit of a slight here etc. If a mod were inclined to do the right thing, and ban him, I for one, wouldn't be distraught. I suspect I'm not alone. 

Hi Deb, welcome to the forum. 

Anxiety is unpleasant, and is the result of distortions in our thinking leading to our minds pressing a metaphorical alarm button, triggering a fight or flight arousal response. 

That's fine when there's a real threat, it's our safety mechanism, and we can face and resolve the issue - or flee, if there is a fire or other major danger. 

In OCD our fear or threat is false, exaggerated or revulsive. The anxiety response is unnecessary, and we feel a compulsive urge to try and "fix" the problem. 

Unfortunately carrying out those compulsions will only give maybe short term relief (like with reassurance) and only makes the OCD fear or threat stronger. 

How do we learn to ignore the intrusions? We just see they are there, consider them as OCD, then gently but firmly refocus away to something beneficial and distracting.

We keep plugging away at this, until that - and not connecting with the intrusions and giving belief to them - becomes the norm. 

Outside of this, learning and applying cognitive behavioural therapy is the route to conquering anxiety caused by OCD. 

Edited by taurean