Panic being alone with son

So I have been diagnosed with postnatal  OCD  and I have severe anxiety... It's all gotten worse recently and I have started on diazapram when needed and paraoxtine.. so maybe my anxiety has gotten worse because of the anti depressants... I get really worried about being alone with my son one because of the thoughts and two because my anxiety is soooo high.my mum is coming down 2 days a week as they live an hour and half away. 

Anyone else had this? I don't feel independent or anything . I feel scared 

Give your meds more time & ask your doctor if you have questions. Pregnancy can play with hormones too as OCD has an estrogen component, but it clears up eventually. Put the kid in a stroller & take for a long walk, as this can make one feel better & baby falls asleep.

Sorry you're having such a hard time . Good that your mum is able to come and help out some. Can you schedule in some other help so to be sure you are getting plenty of sleep, eating well etc? OCD can get so much worse when our bodies are stressed, so good if we can at least manage to get some of the basics taken care of.

Hi there, 

Sorry to hear what you’re going through. My OCD got worse after I found out I was pregnant with my first child and then stepped up after I had her too. I wasn’t aware at that point though that I had OCD, I thought I was just strange. 

With mine, in pregnancy I became obsessed with if I had any diseases that I could possibly pass on to my unborn baby, then after she was born I became obsessed with whether anything was clean enough. I also worried about someone taking her if went out and about her breathing when she was asleep.

Are you having any counseling or CBT? The techniques they teach you in CBT will be very helpful to you, especially with how to handle the anxiety. With your mum coming to stay you may be able to put these in to action a little easier too.  There are also some great books. I know with a new baby it’s hard to concentrate or grab time to read, but some books are in sections and you could maybe read the sections that apply most to you. 

One of the therapists I once saw said to me ‘don’t fight the thought’. This really helped me as I find even now that once I start ‘fighting the thought’ it gives it relevance and starts me on the ‘loop’. What I have learnt (when I put my therapy in to practice) is the anxiety does eventually go down if I just leave it and don’t react to the thought - easier said than done at times I know, but it does get easier. 

Remember, at the moment you’ve so much going on, your hormones are up and down and anything like I was, very sleep deprived, which also doesn’t help OCD at all, so be kind to yourself. I’d take any offers of help and sleep the best you can and relax when you can. 

It will get easier. Stay strong! X

7 hours ago, Baxter27 said:

So I have been diagnosed with postnatal  OCD  and I have severe anxiety... It's all gotten worse recently and I have started on diazapram when needed and paraoxtine.. so maybe my anxiety has gotten worse because of the anti depressants... I get really worried about being alone with my son one because of the thoughts and two because my anxiety is soooo high.my mum is coming down 2 days a week as they live an hour and half away. 

Anyone else had this? I don't feel independent or anything . I feel scared 

Hi Baxter,

I really feel your pain hon. I have the same parten of thoughts, although my sons are older now, but It has been going on for years. 

Can you arrange gmto speak to someone? A professional? 

X x

I prefer to call it PostPartum OCD & if there are sexual thoughts it's called PostPartum OCD Sexual OCD.

Be aware meds don't change your thoughts or actions, just mute one's emotions & they don't affect everyone the same way, so find one that works best for you.

NHS: 

There are medications that you should not be offered. These include;

Tricyclic anti-depressants (other than Clomipramine)
Atypical antidepressants (e.g trazodone)
Serotonin and Noradrenaline Re-uptake Inhibitors (SNRIs) (e.g  venlafaxine)
Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs)
Medication may be used either alone or in combination with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). 

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) drugs are generally the medications prescribed. These include:

Fluoxetine (trade name 'Prozac')
Fluvoxamine (trade name 'Faverin')
Sertraline (trade name 'Lustral')
Paroxetine (trade name 'Seroxat')
Citalopram (trade name 'Cipramil')
Escitalopram (‘Cipralex’)

Healthcare professionals sometimes also refer to SSRIs as “anti-depressants” as they are also often used successfully in
treating depression. This can be confusing especially if you are not experiencing any depression.

Edited by Handy