Hi everyone, 

I just want to say, I hate OCD, and how it destroys your life. I’ve read a really good book by David Veale, overcoming Ocd, it seems so easy when reading about Erp therapy and how to do it, especially when it says things like, don’t shower until it (feels right) and get out when you still feel uncomfortable, that’s hell on earth , . Same when washing or wiping your hands. Feel the anxiety and fear, it makes sense I know, but going through it, WOW. It’s so frustrating for your husband and family too, to see their loved ones so upset and scared, I want to talk to my husband but he’s so fed up with hearing the same old. The worst thing for me is sweating and feeling wet, I feel contamination will stick to me more because I’m wet with sweat all over my body, does anyone else feel like this, ?? 

Im not a stupid person, so why oh why can’t I see through this bully OCD, and ignore it. Sorry for the long post. X

Guest OCDhavenobrain
55 minutes ago, Madchoc said:

The bully that is OCD. X

Problem very often if not always is that we think it is important. There is no way around it. Your task is not to solve it it is to regret interacting even if it tells you all those stories about how very important it is

OCD is a liar, gross exaggerator or provoker of revulsion - depending on its core belief in a particular manifestation. 

We can't "solve" it - we mustn't engage with it or belive it in order to get better. 

Now, it's a powerful foe. We can't just DO that, cold turkey fashion. 

We have to work at it in three key elements of CBT.

Understand how it, then our form of it works - cognition. 

Just note triggers for OCD, then leave them be and refocus away. 

Work through structured, graded, exposure and response prevention to disarm the power of the intrusions and their underpinning core belief. 

Along the road there will be setbacks. Expect them, don't allow them to drag you into a relapse. 

See them as just a blip, leave them be, refocus. 

Keeping occupied helps, learning meditation mindfulness and relaxation will help ease anxiety (but only successfully working through the CBT programme will remove the unwanted anxiety). 

If we can't accept it as OCD, refer to the various previous threads here that will help with that - available by astute use of the search field top right. 

Hating the illness is understandable but will get us nowhere. 

Learning how to change our thinking and our behavioural response will get us on the path to recovery. 

Edited by taurean