Health anxiety, how can I stop thinking worst case scenario?

In January some of you may know, that I had a really bad tummy upset, had some bloods done and Dr rang and told me I my CA125 was raised at 47.  This really sparked my health anxiety and I felt so ill, I went for ultrasound scan and that was fine.  

In the February I lost my brother Inlaw, aged 46 and 5 weeks later my dad.... My health anxiety is through the roof! 

Recently I was told by my GP that my bloods I had done in January not just the CA125 was raised....She said my CRP was raised and My red cells were low and my white cells were raised! So I had to have a further repeat tests.

I feel **** all the time, out of breath, weak just proper crappy all the time.  Which sparks more anxiety.  I had these tests done two weeks ago and decided to ring them this morning as my anxiety is really not helping.   The receptionist said my chest xray was normal, but my bloods were raised and low! And I have to discuss with the Dr.

My anxiety was that bad this morning that again I called the doctors and asked if a doctor could ring me back to talk through the results cos I am worried.  The receptionist said she cant as she is busy, so i said does the bloods look like i need to worry....All she said was it looks like your anaemic and need meds, and that I shouldn't worry.

I've been googling all kinds of blood cancers and I am terrified and convinced myself that I have something seriously wrong with me, why else would I feel so ****! 

I am so scared and everyone is fed up of me talking about this, so I thought I'll post on here.

How can I stop thinking the worst case scenario with my health, why do i always jump to conclusions.  

Please help, Im totally freaking out! 

I guess the key is to kick the compulsions....

37 minutes ago, oetegenn1976 said:

I've been googling all kinds of blood cancers and I am terrified and convinced myself that I have something seriously wrong with me, why else would I feel so ****! 

This is a big one. Leave Dr Google alone. As soon as you start this, I guarantee that you'll find something horrible that you think you must be ill with.

You've had a rough time with bereavements- it's bound to be a big trigger for your OCD. It doesn't mean you have to act on it- make the choice to stop the compulsions: googling, asking family and friends, posting on medical forums (been there!) etc..

As with all obsessions, it will take time and there will still be triggers. 

For now, trust the information you have been given by the doctor- you may need some meds but nothing to worry about. This is all the info you need for now... don't extrapolate to something you're not qualified to diagnose!

Sorry you're feeling like this- it's hell I know. Hang in there.

Hey Oetegenn1976 - this sounds like an incredibly anxiety-provoking scenario. The best advice I ever heard on OCD was to imagine you have an invisible twin without OCD, then do whatever the twin would do. Really hard but it’s the only way of kicking it. OCD wants you to Google and ruminate and stress. Disobey it and it fades.

Hi @oetegenn1976 

Other than what the others have said I can't offer much advice other than when a scary thought pops into your head, bat it away. I spent hours/days ruminating over health issues and feel much better for trying to ignore the thoughts and not engage with them.

I'm going through a similar scenario, having repeat blood tests for raised levels and they want to send me for a CT scan but the thought of that terrifies me too (radiation) so have been putting it off :weep:

I'm anaemic too, and it really can make you feel awful. I've noticed a big difference since taking iron tablets.

You're not alone.

Sending hugs :hug:

It's all rubbish - whatever the theme. I was in hell on and off with OCD for 20 + years. I had loads of "therapy" - most of which didn't help. I took a wide variety of medications and spent time in psychiatric hospitals.

"All" it has taken for me (at the moment) to consider myself 75 per cent better compared to a couple of years ago is to not take my thoughts so seriously - without therapy.

Slow down the mind and try to relax the body and believe me you will not take whatever is going in your head so seriously.

I'm not special or different to any other OCD sufferer - I've simply learnt to not react to specific thoughts and my life is so much better. It might get bad again but at the moment I would certainly describe myself as "in recovery".

41 minutes ago, oetegenn1976 said:

Its the just the what ifs?  I know I'm being silly x

The 'what ifs' are what keeps the ocd going. Instead of 'what if' try 'so what', shrug it off and get on with something else x